Ariel Ace Vs Speed Triple R

Skids

• Member Contributer

A very good read in this months Bike magazine (UK).

A conventionally-forked (Ohlins) Ace (VFR1200) against the Triumph Speed Triple R. Not the best of comparisons when you consider the price difference; £32k vs £11k but there's a great section I have to repeat:

....and in between mouthfulls of finest garage forecourt sandwich his spits out his verdict. 'Underneath all the sexy paraphenalia the Ace is like your wife - sensible, reliaable. But it's like she's put on a basque, stockings, suspenders, high heels and a rubber dress. I like the fact that you have Honda gubbins underneath. It's hipster but reliable.'

Intrigued as to how far Langy's analogy will stretch, I ask him how the Speed Triple R fits into the rubber dress scenario. 'The Triumph's like a MILF from the pub - she's getting on a bit and looks a bit ordinary but you know she'll be a brilliant shag.' There you go Triumph, that's the line to pull out for your adverts.

Shame about the price, 6-month waiting list and a production run of only 1 per week, otherwise...

I have both VFR1200 and the S3R. I must say that little excerpt doesn't go much beyond impressions of these 2 bikes in static display. Personally, I don't much care for the Ace's fancy livery, other than that I'm glad somebody else is trying to make use of Honda brilliant V4. Maybe the rest of the article gets into the essence of these 2 powertrains, which are arguably my favorites. Very different in character. Triumph's 1050cc triple has a torque curve flat as West Texas and about as wide. There is front wheel liberating torque just about anywhere in the rpm range. That sort of powerband, coupled with a tall, short wheelbase, and flickable chassis, makes you act naughty, even if you don't mean to. Flat constant torque and impeccable fueling also makes it easy to hand the front wheel in the air. Hinckley tailored for tomfoolery. No questions about it. Downside is that there is no pucker-inducing rush at the top end, so don't bother pegging the rev limiter.

Honda's 1231cc V4 OTOH build power like a bona fide sportbike. It rewards a smooth rider that can work the controls to keep the RPM up in the powerband. Like a thoroughbred, this beast wants to open its lungs and gallop. Abrupt with the throttle and it'll buck and bronco in protest. To me, it's an okay power plant for a naked street fighter, but far from ideal. Much the same can be said about the TuonoV4R. Ape might have retuned that race-borne V4, but it's temperament is still very evident. I know guys that have bought it and ended up selling it, preferring other nakeds like Super Duke, S3, or even the S1000R instead. Not surprised there are plenty of customers wanting the Ace... mainly for exclusivity, IMO.

• Member Contributer

There was a lot more to the article m8, that was just a summary at the end.

They loved them both.

• Member Contributer

I tried to get Birchills to sell me the exhaust they make for the Ace, but they said Ariel wouldn't let them do it. I'd kill for the one they put on the streetfighter model.

• Member Contributer

Honda's 1231cc V4 OTOH build power like a bona fide sportbike. It rewards a smooth rider that can work the controls to keep the RPM up in the powerband. Like a thoroughbred, this beast wants to open its lungs and gallop. Abrupt with the throttle and it'll buck and bronco in protest. To me, it's an okay power plant for a naked street fighter, but far from ideal.

Is this a stock version you are speaking about? Mine is actually pretty smooth and very forgiving. Abrupt with the throttle and the bike does not care. Been in way to hot, dumped the throttle and the bike just deals with it. And it lives and throws down excellent power in the midrange. I'm rarely up top because it makes so much torque in the midrange. Mine is mapped however. Stock EPA regulated AFR's have never been my taste.

Honda's 1231cc V4 OTOH build power like a bona fide sportbike. It rewards a smooth rider that can work the controls to keep the RPM up in the powerband. Like a thoroughbred, this beast wants to open its lungs and gallop. Abrupt with the throttle and it'll buck and bronco in protest. To me, it's an okay power plant for a naked street fighter, but far from ideal.

Is this a stock version you are speaking about? Mine is actually pretty smooth and very forgiving. Abrupt with the throttle and the bike does not care. Been in way to hot, dumped the throttle and the bike just deals with it. And it lives and throws down excellent power in the midrange. I'm rarely up top because it makes so much torque in the midrange. Mine is mapped however. Stock EPA regulated AFR's have never been my taste.

My comment there only applies to riding the VFR1200 like a hooligan bike. Fun on a bike like the S3, not so much on the VFR1200. The way I usually ride it... it is as smooth as the rider's right hand, and mine is bone stock, no bomb, no flash, no map. I don't venture up top very often either, though it's fun every once in a while. Power band is meaty through the mid range. It is a little soft down low... again, compared to the S3's flat torque curve.

Archived