Sticker Removal Issues

RazorWing

Hey everyone! I've got my bike somewhat apparent waiting on some parts and tools to come in this coming week. I decided I wanted to remove the VFR stickers on the lower fairing. I really like the clean look that gave the 8th gens. I've removed many many of the same stickers before in the past from cars as well as my previous CB500f. I used a heat gun as always and peeled. However what I have is most of the glue still, not a first there, but the way this stuff is I can't figure how to get it off! It's very thick and strong. I've tried goo remover, heat, and even stated wet sanding it, and nothing has listened it! Now I have some scratching around it front trying to wet sand it off (but should buff out) and a very dark nasty logo shape that is even still sticky! I'm looking for some ideas I haven't thought of yet. Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was a rubber cement compound, lighter fluid is a great solvent and won't hurt paint. Been using it for years, decades, for removing adhesive from labels. Goo gone is useless.

Here is a picture of it:

61fc2d8af59d3497bdedf1e53d34917a.jpg

If it was a rubber cement compound, lighter fluid is a great solvent and won't hurt paint. Been using it for years, decades, for removing adhesive from labels. Goo gone is useless.

It does feel a bit like rubber cement, it's the factory sticker, no idea what is behind it. I expected it to come off like any other sticker. I'll try to find some for sale and give it a shot, not sure I've. Prices lighter fluid for sale before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An automotive paint shop should have some 3M adhesive remover. Can't remember the name but it works great.

If all else fails then fire always works... I've seen a lot of guys attempt removal via scraping the fairings along the pavement as well, usually mid corner, not sure if either way is really the safest method... A good amount of mineral oil and a hair dryer were always good for the pinstripes on my cars, occasionally googone would help too

• Member Contributer

It seems to me that you removed the front part of the sticker, but left behind the sticky back part, not just the glue.

I removed mine without a trace.

But your sanding attempt, I'm afraid nothing will get rid of that.

The 5th gen red is a semi transluscent red, with a white back ground.

The more you rub off, the less red you have.

Can you get eucalyptus oil where you are? It works well on sticker gum... and is good for a bunch of other things too.

The sanding looks terminal for the paintwork, though.

Looks like adhesive may have discolored paint? Main reasons I use lighter fluid is it works, and it has a small spout on top so I get a little at a time.

• 4 weeks later...

On a whim I decided to desticker my '98 and encountered the same "adhesive shadow" pictured in this thread. I was too cheap to go out and buy the 3M adhesive remover product, but discovered that some Maxima chain degreaser (the stuff in a blue spray can) I happened to have on hand works just fine. Spray it on, wait about a minute, then start rubbing with a coarse nap rag. The adhesive balls up and comes off without too much trouble. The label on the can says it doesn't harm paint, and seems to be true. Finished up with honda wax.

Archived