Help! Oem Top Case Lock Cylinder Fell Out!

joepopp

• Member Contributer

I'm on the road with my 6th gen and the lock cylinder fell out of my oem top case. I got it back together it now the key won't come out. Anybody have a picture or fiche of the lock assembly? I am not sure I have the blade part oriented correctly. Thanks! Pilot shoot going great!

• Member Contributer

part number is

KEY LOCK SET - PANNIERS/TOPBOX

08L52-MCWLOCK

the fiche doesnot show how it is fitted

Problem will be getting the matching key, but carrying a 2nd key is not a biggie

Keith from Mason City Honda parts dept is highly spoken of here on VFRD

http://www.masoncityhonda.com/

152 5th Street S.W.

Mason City, Iowa

Tel: 641-422-0000

152 5 641-422-0000

post-8974-0-22924300-1436429406.jpg

• Member Contributer

I found a pic on an old thread! Thanks Hagios! I have it in right but for some reason the key won't come out when locked. Hmmm...I'll try to lube it up!

Here's the pic...

post-32230-0-44118200-1436430180.jpg

• Member Contributer

I can see why it fell apart... That kind of lock is usually held together with a screw/lockwasher, but sometimes with a steel clip. The clip fell off...

Disc locks are pretty simple, but you probably don't want to take them all the way apart, as there are little springs to fly out and get lost. With the key in, the cylinder can be pulled out--if the clip is removed. All of the discs should be flush with the surface of the lock cylinder (with the key in), and they should stick out (with the key--carefully--removed).

Now, if the key cannot come out when the lock is locked, it may be that you re-installed the cylinder 180-degrees from its original position. Try that.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I can see why it fell apart... That kind of lock is usually held together with a screw/lockwasher, but sometimes with a steel clip. The clip fell off...

Disc locks are pretty simple, but you probably don't want to take them all the way apart, as there are little springs to fly out and get lost. With the key in, the cylinder can be pulled out--if the clip is removed. All of the discs should be flush with the surface of the lock cylinder (with the key in), and they should stick out (with the key--carefully--removed).

Now, if the key cannot come out when the lock is locked, it may be that you re-installed the cylinder 180-degrees from its original position. Try that.

Ciao,

JZH:

Thanks for the advice. When I turn it 180 degrees it does not sit flush. It seems like it only goes in one way. I swapped the original with the one that came with my side bags so I could have one key for all of the luggage. But now that I think about it my Top case is for a later model VFR ( The reds don't quite match). I'll try the original cylinder again to try and suss it out. I will report back here.

Archived