Upper Radiator Guard

After a tale of woe from one of the guys on the UK VFR forum when a stone in his radiator caused his bike to overheat - http://www.bikersoracle.com/vfr/foru...d.php?t=128775 - it's obvious the top rad is in direct line with the gap between the forks with no protection from flying debris and needs some sort of guard. R&G (famous over here for their crash protectors) make guards for a range of bikes and have just started making them for the new VFR so I bought one. Clear instructions included and also available on their website (except I'd suggest also removing one more piece of the inner black fairing each side to improve access) and easy to fit. It attaches using the radiator mounting bolts on the left side and two cable ties ('zip ties' to you!) on the right. Very neat.

By the way, has anyone else noticed what a grit trap the bottom of the fairing is? Any ideas for dealing with that? When I wash it I remove the plastic clip each side there to let the water drain out but it doesn't clear the gravel!

post-13632-0-96546600-1434973375.jpg

post-13632-0-89727400-1434973382.jpg

post-13632-0-03993000-1434973390.jpg

post-13632-0-60662500-1434973408.jpg

• Member Contributer

Nice that was going to be a winter project of mine, or one when I got around to ordering one :smile2: . Good pics.

That bloke must have been unlucky to cop a rock up there, but shit happens, especially in group rides if you are close to the bloke in front of you and especially if he has a sticky rear.

• Member Contributer

Doesn't take a sticky tyre to fling a stone. Cold have been flung out from between threads.

What I will add to fat shoutys post would be if you have the fairing off make sure you coppaslip that bottom bolt or change it for stainless esp in the UK as it will rust.

Archived