Help With Heavy Fuel Smell From Exhaust

DavidEW

Quick question-

2004 ABS with 39K all stock. Always smelled a bit like gas from the exhaust but nothing that concerned me too much. The other weekend I removed PAIR, snorkel and flapper. Had to bump up the idle slightly as I've read in the forum. However now it REALLY smells like gas from the exhaust. What gives? I've read a little about throttle body sync which I'm still trying to grasp but don't think that has anything to do with the smell...

As always all help appreciated~

• Member Contributer

Maybe a long shot - maybe not . . . if an injector(s) has built up deposits on the pintle, it may not be shutting off completely. If it's leaking during the time the ECU has commanded it to be cycled off, fuel will leak in to the combustion chamber. It might be most notable after riding, sitting for a bit (such as when refueling) and then re-starting. It would probably show up as a dark or fouled plug(s). The best way to tell is to send the injectors off to a professional cleaning service - it's about $25 per to have them done plus your time to r/r them. Probably best to check your plugs first and see what you have.

It's the PAIR valve that you disabled. By doing so, all those toxic byproducts of combustion are released into the air, rather than being burned (and converted into less harmful and odorous gases) in the exhaust.

I discovered this for myself when I blocked off my PAIR valve, then later unblocked it.

I'm leaving mine open, as it only affects throttle below 3,000 RPMs when the engine is cold. Not worth the extra pollution, smell, and early carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms when you run the bike for a bit in a semi-enclosed area (like when working on it in the garage).

• Member Contributer

If this has come on suddenly you might need to take a look at the fuel pressure regulator. Have heard that the diaphragm can fail, you can then have fuel leaking through the vacuum line straight into the intake tract. You would also have higher fuel pressure so the engine will be a little rich.

You can check to see if there's any fuel in the vacuum line attached to the reg. should be bone dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

The regulator is mounted at the right hand end of the front fuel rail on the 6th gen. This should have two hoses connected, looking fro the right side the vacuum hose is at 6 o'clock and that will disappear down under the throttle bodies. The larger hose at 9 o'clock is the fuel return line back up to the fuel tank.

Archived