New To Me 1999 Vfr

Tews19

I have been in the market looking for a sport tourer. I am not sure if this qualifies but the fit of the bike is perfect for me. I come from old Honda 70's bikes. 550's and 750's. Over the winter I sold my prized 71 750 Candy gold and have been riding around my 550/605 bored with internal goodies as of late. I have had probably around 15 or 20 bikes in the past 5 years.

Fast forward to last week and I found a 99 vfr. Rode a few early 90's but didn't want to pay for crazy high miles or deal with busted up plastics. I contacted a gentleman who had a VFR with decent miles listed on CL. The seller lives roughly 1.5 hrs from me and every day I planned to go out there it would rain all day long. Well yesterday after my dyno run on my 75 550 i high tailed it home. Had the wife drive me to pick up the bike. She is in great shape. I loaded up box after box of extra parts.

MIcron exhaust in the original box

Power commander

brand new Sargent seat

complete GIVI luggage system

GIVI wind screen

I think the bike has 2001 mirrors?? Not sure.

This crazy loud ass horn.

The bike is equipped with a new R/R and that has a modified cooling fan directly on it.

I have the Honda Manual, like 400 pages. When I opened it all service records were in there. The PO also did the mod where the peers are removed?? I think it is called peers. Link below is my video of the bike.

Also is the dyne run of the lil 550/605 build I did over the winter.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the forum, looks like a great purchase. I'd love a Sergeant seat, it is the one bit of the VFR that annoys me as I seem to spend half of each ride pushing myself back from the tank.

The "Peers" system is actually PAIR (somehow that stands for Pulsed Secondary Air Injection in Honda-speak), it's a bit of plumbing that allows fresh air from the airbox to be sucked into the exhaust headers via a solenoid valve and reed valves in the heads to help burn off residual hydrocarbons. Sounds good, but in practice just adds more unnecessary hoses to a bike that already has plenty of plumbing. Just wait until you lift the tank and take a look!!!

• Member Contributer

Welcome Aboard Tews! Kudos for posting the video, normally we just expect pics on intro post.

Cheers

Sorry about the grammar. When I use my phone it constantly does auto correct for properly spelled words. Like Dyno changes to Dyne... Anyways I found out the PCM is not suitable for my bike. May someone assist me with removing the stock windshield? I removed the 2 screws yet there is one more on each side but I am not sure if I have to remove the mirrors to access the last screws.

• Member Contributer

Congrats. Best gen in fastest color.

I really like those Givi windscreens (D200S). Especially up north here. Warmer, drier and better gas mileage. Not so hot (pun intended - meaning is is hotter) in hot weather.

Check your factory service manual for the windsrceen removal. Involves four screws. The mirrors do need to come off.

Enjoy and ride safe.

• Member Contributer

I run my '99 with a Delkevic muffler and made no FI changes. Runs perfectly, so I'd suggest you try the bike with the Micron fitted before shelling out on a PCV.

As stated above, to pull off the windscreen from memory you need to remove the small panels at the top inside of the fairing to access a couple of screws, and also pull off the mirrors. For the mirrors you need to peel back the rubber boots to access the bolts. After that the screen should pull straight up and off.

• Member Contributer

Sweet setup. Sweet sound. Hope it brings you as much joy as mine does.

Good luck with the windscreen install.

btw: My name is Terry Gale, my screen name is MaxSwell.

Got the wind screen mounted. Givi tinted one that is quite higher than stock which i like.

Terry, have you seen the 94 or 95 VFR listed in Minneapolis CL for 1500? Nice bike as the owner bought it for his kid but his kid has left for school.

• Member Contributer

Got the wind screen mounted. Givi tinted one that is quite higher than stock which i like.

Terry, have you seen the 94 or 95 VFR listed in Minneapolis CL for 1500? Nice bike as the owner bought it for his kid but his kid has left for school.

Hi Tews19, no I have not. I'm not looking for another machine right now so I try to avoid shopping; sometimes I can't resist temtation so I try to stay untemped.

Thanks for the heads up, I will take a look at the ad now that you've got my curosity up. If anything comes of it, I'll hold you responsible!

I just looked. No sign of one.

Ah the gentleman left for Europe on the 13th. I wasn't sure if that was merely CL banter to have someone come to buy the bike. The owner seemed very genuine. I can get his contact info if interested. Also I did a Dyno run with the VFR last night. I will post the video in a bit.

Archived