I Made My '99 Mad At Me...

KevCarver

• Member Contributer

Took me about 10 minutes to get the poor thing fired this morning after neglecting it for a couple weeks! Fortunately I remembered I had done the same before, so I was able to get it going eventually without panic.

For whatever reason, if I change the oil and then start and run it for a few seconds to get the oil circulated and pressure up and then not get it fully warm, it will not want to start. It sat for two weeks, not sure what the time delay is to cause it, but it has happened before.

I knew it wasn't having any issues before, so there shouldn't be any now. So I just cranked and cranked. Still not firing, so held the button and started cracking the throttle. It's a '99, so fast idle lever was already pulled. Finally started coughing, and wanting to catch. Fired and I throttled up for a second and tried to let it fast idle, but it died. Back to holding the button and open throttle until it caught again, and revved it for a couple seconds. That's all it took. I rode it up the hill and killed it after I turned around to see if it would start on the button. It did. Zero issues from then on.

Like I say, it's happened before when I changed the oil and ran it for a second then let it sit. That's the only trouble I've had.

I guess I'm just saying to go ride your bike after you change the oil!

(Battery is about a year old, always on Tender, ST1300 size Yuasa, never weakened while I was cranking it!)

Countdown to 100k:

1054 miles

• Member Contributer

I've been commuting on the 09 and I took my 01 in a 3 day trip recently so my Duc has been sitting for a while, she sure didn't like it either! I think I'll be getting a new battery for her soon, the one in there seems tired, even when on the battery tender she seems weak to start up after sitting a spell.

snip

For whatever reason, if I change the oil and then start and run it for a few seconds to get the oil circulated and pressure up and then not get it fully warm, it will not want to start. It sat for two weeks, not sure what the time delay is to cause it, but it has happened before.

Of course running the engine for a short time and shutting down should not cause difficult starting. This is almost certainly an issue of not getting fuel to the cylinders. The sputtering and eventual start after long cranking is a dead giveaway. You're loosing pressure in the fuel delivery during these episodes.

• Member Contributer

It's only been a couple times on the VFR. Both times the same situation. I let my RC51 sit for 9 months and had a similar issue...

The VFR has sat for more that 2 weeks without starting, but on Tender with no issues.

Maybe moisture generated by combustion has corroded the plugs? Getting it properly hot gets the moisture evaporated?

Archived