Two Bikes, Two Problems, Nc30 Oil Leak And Vf500F2 Overheating

moanytony

Hello friends. Am having trouble staying on the road. My NC30 when warm drips oil from what looks to be the left hand side engine cover. And the battery now seems not to charge and has died. Should there be oil behind that side and could the faults be related? Anyone know why it would start to leak oil there! Only had the bike for 100 miles...

My VF500 overheats only when riding fast, say 60 plus mph for 5 minutes or more. Put a thermostat in as there was none there (although I know that would never have fixed it) and now it actually boiled over rather than just going up to the top of the gauge. No blockages in the system, new antifreeze, radiator flushed, fan works fine and all seems good around town, only when opening up. It has a K&N filter in, do you think it could be running lean with that? Any other tips very well received.

Kind regards and I hope you are all out today!

Cheers

Tony

There shouldn't be oil in the left hand side. Cover off and oil poured out. Sounds bad. Any ideas, is it bad or is there an oil seal that can be replaced behind there somewhere? Sounds like the oil has fouled the generator and stopped charging the battery?

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

There generally is some oil in the left case cover. The alternator is partially oil cooled. Any leak around that cover will be just that a leak. Get a new gasket, remove clean & refit. Re the battery &/or RR check the help files on the forum, its basically the same for all Honda's. Check the charging voltage status at idle & at 5000rpm. It is possible for a battery to die due to age &/or lack of use, but could be a fried RR or alternator.

Re the VF500 over heating, check the radiator cap, if its not working properly, then it may over heat.

• Member Contributer

The alternator is on the right side of my 4th gen VFR. Is it different on the VF500?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived