Exhaust Sealant Question

Putting the Viffer back together with new OEM parts that I ordered after I put a claim in on the bike (see "Sickened" thread), I put a Two Bros can on, and it's great, but it has a slight cant to it that makes it a little tilted to one side. Most people wouldn't notice it, much less care, but it's driving me nuts and I must make it perfect. The exhaust sealant is solid and formed. What is my remedy to dissolve the sealant without staining the aluminum and making the situation worse?

Thanks in advance for the help. And BTW, I like this forum better than the others. The other VFR forums are full of arrogant people who throw insults like snowballs. If they knew my background and attitude in person and stood in front of me, I'm fairly certain they'd demonstrate a totally different demeanor, if you know what I mean.

Semper Fi

post-32971-0-81939300-1434206163.jpg

post-32971-0-72355900-1434206211.jpg

Now I have lower, original mount. I'll post some pics later. Pipe is off the bike now. It is canted to the right about 2 degrees. Most wouldn't even know. I do. I must be addressed.

Nice Viffer. Real nice. I ride two up so I had to keep the passenger gear.

Too, I lowered the bike by rotating the shock link plate and now I'll lower the front. I've read varying amounts of how much the forks should be lowered. Any input before I have at it? Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Depending on the sealant you might try kerosene, acetone, or MEK to dissolve... do NOT get these organic solvents on plastic or the carbon fiber exhaust canister since they will dissolve the resin

• Member Contributer

Hey Scotty

When I was installing the Delkevic slip-on for my 2000 VFR I had to play around a bit with rotating the link pipe around the header pipe in order to change the angle of the silencer in relation to the fairing. On mine, rotating the link pipe clockwise (IIRC) had the effect of pivoting the front of the pipe out and the back in toward the tire around the centre strap joint. When I got the angle where I wanted it on the silencer I tightened the link pipe / silencer connection first and then tightened the header connection.

It does look as though the link pipe / silencer connection on your exhaust doesn't have a band clamp like mine however. If you play with the angle a bit on the header pipe connection though it may still change the angle of the pipe in relation to the fairing mind you. Hope you get it figured out though. I must have played with the angle on mine for over an hour before I got it JUST right, so you're not the only one. LOL.

PS. I know what yo mean about the other site. There are certain individuals who just seem to ruin the whole experience.

• Member Contributer

Which joint is the sealant on? My TBros system doesn't have any sealant on any of the joints.

Great bike btw, '99 was the last of the fast VFR's.

Two Bros sent me 2 sets of instruction and I put the "S" pipe and can together per the instructions without pre fitting. It's close, but not close enough.

I didn't even ask this question on the other site. I have enough crap in my life, I certainly don't need any sardonic quips. Thanks for all the help.

• Member Contributer

Two Bros sent me 2 sets of instruction and I put the "S" pipe and can together per the instructions without pre fitting. It's close, but not close enough.

I didn't even ask this question on the other site. I have enough crap in my life, I certainly don't need any sardonic quips. Thanks for all the help.

I used to hangout over there I understand and still have a couple of riders over there I still ride with .

Here we are always willing to help out WITHOUT all the drama .

Roll On ..

Archived