2012 Vfr1200 Fuel Requirements And Shaft Drive Gear Lube

• Member Contributer

Just a question around the recommended fuel requirements. The label on them tank says that high test gas is recommended. I have not checked into the compression ratio yet but is that an absolute. I just did a trip from Saint John, NB,Canada to Lake George for Americade and used high test all the way. Bike works quite good for one up sport touring except seat needs an upgrade. Love the shaft drive. It calls for SAE 80 so could I use SAE 80w90? Thanks for your input.

• Member Contributer

I use Amsoil 75w90 gear oil. I have a bunch of it from when I used it in the duffs of my STi. Really high quality stuff.

Gas, 93 octane, won't use anything else. Not worth the dollar I'd save per fill up to use lower octane.

• Member Contributer

I also use 75W90 gear oil but from Redline. The bike runs fine on any octane but higher is preferred so that's what you should use. I've filled up many times on 87 octane when higher octane was not available and noticed no difference. But I know the engine was designed for higher octane so that is what I put in if available, which is nearly always.

• Forum CEO

I've used less then premium. Most of my riding is 6k or above in elevation. Shoot what actually comes out of the fuel hose probably isn't premium for the first half gallon anyway. I got a jug of Lucas gear oil. Change gear oil every time I change my motor oil.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Can't find 93 octane north of the border, afaik... I've never seen it available anyway :P

91 is fine.

Plenty of 93 and 94 Octane in Manitoba as well as rest of Canada. There are three Shell Stations selling 94 in Brandon 26 km from you in Shilo. Esso sells 93 and Petro Canada and Shell sell 94. Would not want our friends from the south thinking when they come up here they can't get high octane gas. I have filled up on it the whole way going across the country.

• Member Contributer

As an FYI, some people wonder how much fuel from the previous customer we get at the pump. One of the bikes mags worked it out recently, and it came to just a little over a cup (10oz).

A good amount but probably still not nearly enough to worry about.

Here in Korea once you leave the city of Seoul, it's almost impossible to find premium gas. Concern that I have is how popular is premium at the station where you're pumping fuel. I try to find a gas station that has high turn over rate, so I can be assured that I put the freshest fuel in my machine. Where I'm at, premium isn't that popular and concerned that it contains water or other contaminates from sitting there so long. In 173,000 Kilometers on the VFR 1200 it only has been fed with 87 octane with no ill effect. I used Mobil One 75W-90 gear oil every other oil change.

Can't find 93 octane north of the border, afaik... I've never seen it available anyway :P

91 is fine.

Plenty of 93 and 94 Octane in Manitoba as well as rest of Canada. There are three Shell Stations selling 94 in Brandon 26 km from you in Shilo. Esso sells 93 and Petro Canada and Shell sell 94. Would not want our friends from the south thinking when they come up here they can't get high octane gas. I have filled up on it the whole way going across the country.

Funny, because I always fill up at Shell, and Shell themselves say all the stations in Brandon are 91 octane ("Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline")

http://www.shell.ca/en/products-services/shell-for-drivers/fuels/shell-vpower/faq.html

And also Petro-Canada says there are no 94 octane stations in Brandon.

http://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/independent/3557.aspx?&A=&C=brandon&P=MB&PC=+&R=&B=UL%3b94&E=nlf

I rarely go to the Esso, but the last time I did (maybe 2 months ago) it was only 91 octane as well.

I've been to the stations here, trust me I know what is available in my own area, I'm not what your source is, but it is wrong. Winnipeg probably has higher octane fuels, but western manitoba does not, I'm lucky to find anything above 89 octane if I leave Brandon area.

• Member Contributer

Weird, following is the link supplied by Petrocan of three locations in Brandon they say sell Ultra 94 - since the Shell - Petrocan merge Petrocan sells the old She'll Ultra 94.

http://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/independent/3557.aspx?MODE=RES&R=&C=Brandon&PC=

Anyway your area so I bow to your local knowledge - I fill up premium when I follow the TransCan Hwy.

Sent from my cerebellum using Tapatalk

Not going to lie, with the 1200, there are probably a few areas on the 17 through Ontario where I'd be a bit nervous about making it between stations. I think my longest record for range with the VFR is around 230km (probably not bone dry, but quite a ways into the last bar on the guage) and I seem to recall on my trip around Lake Superior on the R1 a couple years back around 240 or so...

All I can say is if I did it again with the VFR I'd probably be bringing an auxiliary fuel bottle :P

Not going to lie, with the 1200, there are probably a few areas on the 17 through Ontario where I'd be a bit nervous about making it between stations. I think my longest record for range with the VFR is around 230km (probably not bone dry, but quite a ways into the last bar on the guage) and I seem to recall on my trip around Lake Superior on the R1 a couple years back around 240 or so...

All I can say is if I did it again with the VFR I'd probably be bringing an auxiliary fuel bottle :P

I'm not worried about running out of gas up to 300KM, still have about a liter of fuel left. This while going on a steady speed around 120KPH and staying in 6th gear. The most I filled up was 18.488 liters of fuel and went about 320 Kilometers. Last fuel gauge bar started flashing at around 235 Kilometers. If you wide open throttle often or ride in twisty roads, I doubt anyone can get 200 kilometers on a full tank of fuel.

It's that useless fuel gauge that makes me nervous. 1st segment is around 100km before it vanishes, the next 6 take around 100km betwen them. Once the last one is flashing, I get nervous.

• Member Contributer

Don't worry, made the ride across from Toronto to Alberta and BC three times (including Hwy 17) with both bikes and have never run out of fuel.

Archived