Pr 2 Front With Pp 2 Rear?

Cogswell

• Member Contributer

So I'm scheduled to leave Friday for a 600 mile trip. Several weeks ago I had put my order through at Jake Wilson for a new set of PR 2's. They showed up in a couple of days and stupidly I set them aside until needed. The front was on top so I mounted and balanced it first. Then I moved on to the rear to find they had sent me a PR2 front tire and a PP 2 rear tire! It's my own fault I had not closely inspected them when they arrived. doh%20II_zps9lvchybu.gif

I do have a set of worn but serviceable PR 2's (background in photo) I was going to use on another bike that sees far less use. My choices are:

1. Run the PP2 rear and PR2 front they sent

2. Run the used PR2 rear with the new PR2 front and swap the rear when the replacement arrives.

3. Dismount the front and re-mount the 2 used tires, wait for a replacement and run the new tires as a set later.

My question is has anyone used this combination of PP2 rear with PR2 front? IIRC most run that combo opposite - Pilot Power 2 front and Pilot Road 2 rear!

Thanks for any input. Cheers

Tires_zpscms7mh7i.jpg

• Member Contributer

Dunno if I would run that on purpose. If you are gonna mix tires, you want the stickyest tire in the front.

• Member Contributer

As it was said to me once, "You don't want to be the guy that had almost enough tire" (Mk2Davis). I personally would go with new tires. If you call Jake Wilson, I'm sure you can get a new rear tire before Friday. Every time I order from them, I get them in 2 days! (as long as it's in stock). As Mello Dude said, the stickier tire you want up front but that's not to say the setup you have is a bad combo, it's just the opposite of what is common practice with mis-matched tire sets. If push came to shove and you had to keep the PP2 rear, I think it would be fine.

You will be absolutely OK running that mixed set.

Also, check your invoice. I have never seen JakeWilson make a mistake on a tire order. I order almost 100 every year from them.

I thought they did once, but then I saw where I ordered the wrong series tires - T30 and T30GT.

It all worked out both sets sold extremely quick.

• Member Contributer

You will be absolutely OK running that mixed set.

Also, check your invoice. I have never seen JakeWilson make a mistake on a tire order. I order almost 100 every year from them.

I thought they did once, but then I saw where I ordered the wrong series tires - T30 and T30GT.

It all worked out both sets sold extremely quick.

Thanks. I dug out the invoice and sure enough - it lists Pilot Roads for both. :huh: J.W. has always delivered like clockwork so that's why I didn't really feel any urgency to peel off the shipping wrap to check. At a minimum I need to get them to refund the difference between what I paid for and what they shipped. I may just order up a PR2 rear and a PP front and have them credit me and put the PP's on where I was going to mount the old road 2's - make lemonade out of lemons. Thanks for the replies.

Archived