Any Atlanta Area Riders Help With Fork/shock Refresh/rebuild?

DavidEW

Thought I'd throw this out here since this board has been a great source of help and info.

2004 VFR800 ABS 40K miles front/rear stock never been serviced. I'm noticing the front is a big jarring and I'm an aggressive rider so it's time for a fix up. Don't have the money to spend on aftermarket pricey stuff and I also really want to learn the ins and out of my bike so I'm really hoping someone here would be willing to donate their time and expertise to help me do it. I don't want to take her to a dealer/mechanic anymore I want to do it all myself.

My thoughts were just a general refresh of the front (clean out, new oil/bushings/seals) and then drop in a CBR1100xx rear shock for a stiffer spring and little more rear end ride height (I'm 175 pounds no gear).

Drop me a line if you're willing to help it would be much appreciated - I have a garage/tools but I'm willing to come to you. Only thing I don't have that may be needed is a work bench with vise (or any specialized fork tools). I'm located in Decatur.

David

• Member Contributer

I am located just south of ATL but your profile lists you as residing in LA...I can help but it would be post TMac.

Let me know what your schedule looks like for june.

Thanks for the heads up I just updated my profile. I moved here to ATL at the beginning of the year from LA.

Because my work schedule always changes the sooner the better in June - let me know what works for you...did my post about what to do to the forks/shock sound about right?

Consider a budget solution that's a fraction of Ohlins/Penske/etc. with 95% of the capability:

daughertymotorsports.com

Even if you don't use him, Jamie is a fount of knowledge on suspension magic.

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer~

• Member Contributer

:1:

Agreed. Even with a stiffer spring, am XX shock is still going to be old. Should be rebuilt and revalved, as well as have an appropriate spring installed.

Same with the front. Easy to drain and refill with new oil, if maintenance is all you are after.

Jamie has drop in kits for the front, and that's pretty easy.

No idea if the XX shock is an appropriate replacement for the 6th Gen. If so, have him rebuild one. I know he sells rebuilt, or will rebuild one you send him, 929 shocks for the 5th Gen.

• Member Contributer

I am not sure what modifications would be needed to fit a Blackbird rear shock to the VFR but I know many have fit CBR929 rar shocks after revalving and respringing them.

We have some Daughtery Motorsports suspension work on a few bikes as well as Ohlins and Traxxion Dynamics. Daughtery's work is an exceptional bargain for the cost. I would check with him as TN Rabbit suggested about what mods you may be able to perform.

We can change the valving and springs here and fill with fresh fluids after cleaning but you would need to source proper valves for the springs or we are wasting our time and your money.

I'm familiar with Jamie's upgrades. So if I go that route and I can only do either front or rear at a time which to start with...his CBRF4 shock upgrade for $400 or the complete fork upgrade for $600? Which one would give me the best results first. Maybe just refresh the forks and get the shock until I can buy the complete fork kits?

• Member Contributer

Is the $600 for the forks new cartridges? I would recommend new valves, springs and perhaps you send him a CBR shock you pinch from ebay for $15-$30 to rebuild?

Which ever end you do first if you can only do one end at a time will push the other end around...so you have to ask yourself if you value front end feel or rear more than the other.

Anything you can sell to come up with $800 at one time? blood? semen? kidney? :goofy:

Or perhaps you have already sprung for an aftermarket exhaust?

I just bought a house and can't justify blowing dough on a bike that's ok as is when I have to still furnish the house. Believe me it's hard not too so I have to be smart about how to get the most bang for the buck or my wife will bust my balls.

Full upgrade looks like...see below from his website:

(02+)
$595

Brand new for 2014! These DMr cartridge kits offer a complete fork upgrade with the addition of having the valving preassembled - that means you do not need to have prior fork revalving experience to install! The kits come with detailed instructions that guide you through every step. Kits include all new compression valving, new rebound valving, damping rods and adjustable cap assemblies. Springs are also included! Click here for more information.

• Member Contributer

Those cartridges are sweet no doubt.

If it were me in your circumstances I would just do a service on the stock stuff, set the sag and preload properly while saving my coin for upgrades on both ends...maybe brown bag lunch for 60 days (that should easily be another $450) and if you frequent Starbucks you can have the dough in no time at all by skipping that venue.

Save some money and plan the full suspension overhaul for the fall or early winter but we can do a service sooner.

I'm familiar with Jamie's upgrades. So if I go that route and I can only do either front or rear at a time which to start with...his CBRF4 shock upgrade for $400 or the complete fork upgrade for $600? Which one would give me the best results first. Maybe just refresh the forks and get the shock until I can buy the complete fork kits?

Definitely the forks first.

• 4 weeks later...

Throwing it out there one more time to see if anyone's willing to show me the ropes. I've decided to fix up the existing front end and add Jamie's CBR600 shock to the rear. Ordering Racetech springs - I'm 170 no gear so thinking .90 (or should I go up to .95) with Maxxima 5 weight oil, new o-rings, dust seals, bushings/sliders. I refuse to have a dealer work on my bike so if someone can help that's be much appreciated.

I'm ordering EOM parts for the forks through Bike Bandit - can someone confirm I have the right parts and amount in my cart? First time doing this so bear with me...

Thanks-

David

<script src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5b3e0173/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js" type="text/javascript"> </script>

post-12703-0-62262700-1433697303.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, how did this work out for you?

I was thinking of doing a fron-end upgrade on my 4th gen with 23k on it.

Racetech price quote came up to $516 for the parts:

1 FMBI 41201 P FORK BUSH INNER-41x20x1 PAIR $24.99

1 FMBO 41152 P FORK BUSH OUTER-41x15x2 PAIR $21.98

1 FMGV S2040 FK GOLD VALVE 20x6 $169.99

1 FRGV S02 FK REBOUND GV 20x6 STREET $169.99

1 FRSP S3534090 RT FRK SPR 34.7x340mm .90kg $129.99

Then I see Jamie's Fork Cartridges Kit for $595. I already have a rear shock from Jamie (a CBR929 with mid grade valving) and am quite fond of his work.

What are the pros/cons between the two? thanks.

I would definitely go with Jaimies cartridge kit over rebuilding/stiffer springs if money is no problem. I didn't have that luxury so I'm going to go with the rebuild and ride the balls off of it while I save money for the cartridges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived