Why Is Coolant Coming Out Of This Hole?

jay-d

when i removed the throttle bodies i had a loose hose from the thermostat and both hoses going into the wax idle unit were loose. tightened everything up and haven't had another problem all week. must have done something right.

I used the 3/4" car hose trick too for the short ones around the thermostat housing. Worked fine.

Then again, I'm not afraid to use Non-OEM parts, or invent something when needed.

• 1 year later...

I have a similar leak on my 2005 VFR, and thinking of replacing all hoses while I go in and have a look, as I'm pretty sure they're all the original hoses and over 10 yrs old.

SAMCO are way too expensive for me, but has anyone heard of AS3 performance silicone hoses? They are from the UK, but I haven't been able to find any reviews on the quality of them.. they only offer a year warranty but they're around half the price of SAMCOs.

• 5 months later...
9 hours ago, MrRC46 said:

Hey Smackhawk, did you try the hoses from AS3 Performance? I'm thinking of buying a set my '99 VFR. 

Yeah mate I did. Good quality, fast shipment on eBay, a week I think! I did need to get some new hose clamps though as some of the stock ones weren't big enough to accommodate the AS3 silicone hoses. 

My water leak turned out to be a corroded barb fitting on the thermostat housing itself. Coolant could get under the lip of the barb and out, just a tiny drip. I used some epoxy resin for high temp metal applications to fill the channel and sanded it to shape like the barb fitting should be. Been a few months and over 1000km and all is good!

• Member Contributer

MrRC46 & Smackhawk,

Looking into the AS3 hoses as well, currently they are out of stock for the 5th gens, should have more in March. Going to get their clamps as well. 

Dammit.  I may have the same / similar issue.  After my long trip last May, the VFR has mostly been sitting in the garage.  I ran her up to temp about a month ago, and after shutting her off, noticed about a quarter size puddle of coolant on the right side of the bike....guess it's time to dig back into the throttle body area again.  After dealing with my injector issues last year, I'm not really looking forward to that.  I guess should have replaced all the coolant and vacuum hoses when I was in there last year.  :comp13:

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Nice to see the good feedback on the AS3 hoses. I assume this hasn't changed any...? I'm fairly sure that my thermostat is stuck open (160-170°F), and since I'm planning to tear in that far, a new temp switch and new radiator hoses might as well be on the "preventative maintenance" list.

• Member Contributer

I used the AS3 hose kit for the 99, fine bit of kit. They are less than purchasing OEM Honda hoses and are made out of silicone, got the AS3 clamps as well. Highly recommend getting the o rings for the two aluminum coolant elbows that enter the cylinder heads in the Vee, both on mine were nothing but mush. Most of the hoses in the Vee were just starting to leak coolant, so I would suggest changing them all while your in there.

• Member Contributer

As mentioned in Madscientist's post from June 2015, Mohawk listed all of the standard-size hoses that could be used instead of the AS3 kit.  I bought all of the bits and plumbed my yellow bike with them--worked great!  You don't really need all of the squiggly bends in the OEM or AS3/Samco kits.  That said, 99GBP (with the weak pound) could be worth it...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I looked at Mohawk's post, but I've got a VTEC: somewhat different hose configuration. With the exchange rate where it is, I'd have more work in figuring it out than the money I'd save would be worth.

Archived