Vfr To Buell Style Conversion

VFRfix

I'm looking to convert my 99 vfr to a naked bike as close to this buell as I can get.

I want to simulate the front end fairing area but while keeping my own headlamp (bring it back toward the bike and cut the front fairing up so it also resembles the buell and raise the handlebars

any recommendations on a front mounted radiator and what i can expect on price?

If do this and modify the back end subframe too, do I ned to tell the dmv here in CA? Will they allow it to be licensed?

Thanks again everyone

Buell-lightning_c65bf_zps39188bbb.jpg

you wont be able to simulate the buell headlight with the vfr one. The buell is only as wide as the forks, the vfr headlight is much wider, and probably much deeper. why not just buy a pair of dominators or the buell lights?

ive used a modifed tl1000r top radiator, paladinreed used an sv650, vfraustin has used one of the OEM side mounts in front, but is now gonna try a vfr750 rad.

Ive got a custom made front mount to fit as my made in china TL rad sprung a leak.

cant help with the DMV question, I'm an Aussie.

• Member Contributer

Post your question on customfighters.com. People do all sorts of crazy and innovative stuff over there.

• Member Contributer

Is your bike registered already? As long as the VIN plate is legible, you shouldn't have any issues. These are largely cosmetic changes that don't affect the nature of the bike.

• Member Contributer

About 4ft is as close as I'd allow you if it was my Buell :)

Get a saw & cut V4 in half, or get to lawn mower engines & any old unit gearbox & off ya go, just kidding, best of luck with it.

If you find a means to do the belt drive let me know :)

Post your question on customfighters.com. People do all sorts of crazy and innovative stuff over there.

there's a few guys on here who are on CF, including me.

Cool thanks..

How much would you guys think I could get away with that front en jobby for price wise? and do the radiators need to be a certain size or like even just one of the originals onteh front will be fine like youa re saying? I could do that. I want to be as cheap as possible but still make it look good... I think the width of the original lights I'd be good with but the depth may not work...

I'll check that site thanks guys

Two quick questions-

Would you be doing this yourself?

Or using a shop you trust?

Getting rid of the fairing is easy, making it look good after is hard.

The dash is massive, so once the fairing is gone, that needs to be changed.

I reckon using the OEM lights will look ridiculous, but that's just me. They attach to the fairing, so you'd need to figure out how to mount them.

Look through paladinreeds thread, look through mine, and look through austins. That'll give you an idea of what you are in for.

My TL rad cost me $100 Aus or so, and another $100 to modify it. Plus new hoses. A mate made one bracket for me, I made some others. My new custom rad cost me $500 Aus, but it is smaller, and 42 mm think so it'll still cool properly.

It can be done, but I have no idea on your costs because I'm in a different country.

And look through apexandy's, different gen Vfr, but it is bloody awesome.

• Member Contributer

Not trying to be discouraging but you should consider selling your vfr and saving up for a Buell. They aren't all that more expensive than a clean vfr and you will save yourself lots of money and time by doing some sort of conversion. Or embarrassment by making it look terrible.

Most of us who fightered the vfr wanted to do so because we loved all of the basic things about the platform but wanted to chance the stylistic appearance, performance, etc. Not to make it look like an entirely different motorcycle.

Either way, if you do plan on keeping it and modifying it I'd encourage you to look around at some streetfightered vfr threads to get an idea what you're looking at. They are not an easy bike to fighter well just fyi (especially not the 5th gens)

Archived