Strange Noise

01ragtop

My 2014 has about 2000 miles on it, and recently I noticed a strange noise when slightly revving the engine. It only makes the noise as the bike is settling down from revving. For instance if you rev the engine it makes a metallic clacking noise as it settles back down to idle. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all, and sometimes it will clatter for a second or two as it settles back to idle. I thought it was the exhaust at first, but I used a screwdriver stethoscope and the exhaust sounds normal. It seems louder on the left side under the engine.

Any ideas? It doesn't sound healthy. Bike runs great, and it doesn't make the noise when riding, or at least it isn't loud enough to hear it with the wind noise. But it sound like gravel if you rev it at a stop in neutral or in gear with the clutch pulled in.

The sound in the video on the other forum sounds to me like fuel being burnt in the exhaust header - i.e. the PAIR system doing its job. You hear it more with a slip on (due to less sound attenuation), often when you engine brake hard or flick the throttle.

If so, it is completely normal.

Edit: Saw now that Ragtop says the sound is not from the exhaust. Hmm... Hard to say without hearing it live. :unsure:

Mine does that too. Took it back to the dealers and the 2 they had in the showroom did it too and they said some do it, some don't.

It's never caused me any problems.

Archived