Shopping For 7Th Gen, Exhaust Question

VFROr

Managed to get a second day out on my new all time favorite bike :happy:

Much easier to hit the turn signal this time, swapping between Auto modes and manual is natural feeling. Torn between lowering pegs and helibars or just leaving it stock. Stock ergos are perfect for sporty riding, but might need a little more relaxed for long days.

Measured petrol consumption, 45 mpg, not too shabby compared to some of the reports.

Pitbull rear stand should be here tomorrow, credit card would implode if I bought all the stuff on the list at once :ohmy:

Probably give my Giant Loop luggage a whirl on the big VFR, it"s great stuff if it will fit over the passenger handles.

Nice day up the Columbia River Gorge, scenery, wildflowers, and twisties.

SuTp1n.jpg

di58Pw.jpg

xyEDws.jpg

FtKmEe.jpg

I bought a used Two Brothers High mount , cut it down and shortened it , then took out some packing and played around with different combinations till I got the sound I was looking for , finally happy with the sound now , the 7th Gen VFR always sounded so anemic .

post-25046-0-03055600-1432236180.jpg

post-25046-0-78748600-1432236212.jpg

I bought a used Two Brothers High mount , cut it down and shortened it , then took out some packing and played around with different combinations till I got the sound I was looking for , finally happy with the sound now , the 7th Gen VFR always sounded so anemic .

Looks great. That's about how much I cut my 2Bro M5 can too. The only reason I did mine was to fit under the panniers.

Really like the rim tape on those wheels!

Thanks , It's reflective rim tape with Moto Inkz rim graphics that I did and overlay on top of

Looks great. That's about how much I cut my 2Bro M5 can too. The only reason I did mine was to fit under the panniers.

Me too , I liked the view of the rear tire and single sided swingarm but still wanted to use my panniers as well

Great looking bikes, if ever there was a stock exhaust that needed to go away...

What all is involved with shortening an aftermarket, i.e. cutting with what and re-assembling with what, I don't own a rivet tool.

How did you cut it down? Can you give a few details? i.e. How much length did you take off? Which end? did you re-rivet? etc...

VFROr/Jed13 ,

It varies per exhaust , I also have a shortened and re-packed Akrapovic which is a different process then the Two Brothers , the Two Brothers is fairly straight forward , I wrapped the can with masking tape to protect from scratching , drilled out the rivets on the inlet end , pull the bottom piece out and separated it from the can , then I cut off about 3.5 inches off the outer can and the inner baffle with a band saw , then I loose fit the pipe back together so I could still take it back apart as I made adjustments to the packing material for sound . Rule of thumb is how ever much outer can you remove , you have to remove the same amount of internal baffle , if its not a Two Brothers DO NOT just cut straight thru the can with a band saw as it may not be the same . If your not comfortable or done anything like this before you might not want to tackle it , or I'd at least watch some DIY or How To videos , you might also need to get some stainless rivets the same size as originally in your can .

Yap, do not just chop the can with a band saw. I tried and it cut alright... with all kinds of jagged edges on the Titanium can. It was ugly to say the least. I managed to salvage the can by taping around the can with blue masking tape, marked a new cut line with pencil, and carefully recut with a dremel tool. Took a bit of time and several discs to complete the cut, but the result is a lot better. It ended up about 1 inch shorter than I originally planned, but not too bad. If I were to do it again, I'll probably try a pneumatic cutoff tool with a thin disc, and make very shallow cut.

I forgot what size stainless steel rivets I got, but I remembering measuring the hole size on the strap and went with that size. Ordered the rivets from Amazon, but I know Autozone carry some sizes too. Other autoparts store probably do also. You can get a pop rivet tool from Harbor Freight for cheap.

Don't remember exactly what length I cut mine... 13-14in something like that. I'm sure it affected HP and torque to some degree, but honestly, I doubt it's anything more than a few HP gain here and maybe a few loss there. I'm not a horsepower hawk. The bike has plenty enough go juice before and after. Getting the exhaust to fit under the pannier was wayyy more important.

• 2 weeks later...

11140751_703654823090771_776196254148453

Video of the Delkevic Exhaust I just put on. Has a nice deep sound in person.

https://youtu.be/YCMgprc04tM

Do you have the hard bags? I'm wanting to know if they will work with that pipe. Looks like it will but want to be sure.

• Member Contributer

s

Go Pack in 2015...

• Member Contributer

Do you have the hard bags? I'm wanting to know if they will work with that pipe. Looks like it will but want to be sure.

No I don't have the hard bags. That IS why I bought the 8 inch shorty....I think it will work with the hard bags. If somebody with the stock hard luggage could give a measurement from the lower mounting bracket to the bottom of the luggage I could measure the Delkevic and see if it will clear.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Did you keep the db killer? I got one too, and with the db killer it sounds pretty bad - very raspy.

Not bad from the side but from behind got that raspy sound .

Archived