929 R. Shock Conversion In Progress - Question

TurdEngineer99

2002 VFR non-abs

bought a 929 shock from JD about 5 years ago, finally getting around to installing it.

old shock out, cleaned up everything in there, ready to fit new shock in. I've lost my notes from researching this and the other forums. Where im at right now is the bracket that holds the proportioning valves for the linked brake system. The bracket which spans left to right is obstructed by the reservoir on the new shock. I know the valves need to be firmly fixed, so Im thinking I need to carefully crop out the center section, refit the left & right sections of the bracket, mount the valves. But now the center section has to be fastened somewhere because it serves as a mount for the rear brake line. Would it be advised to weld/fasten it to the rear sub frame or a different location?

If anyone has done this conversion, please let me know if I'm on the right track!

Thnx

post-16912-0-02448100-1430088213.jpg

post-16912-0-16109600-1430088227.jpg

• Member Contributer

Dude, 929 shock conversions work well on 5th gens... I think for 6th gens it is a CBR600 rear shock that is the mod, I forget which model 600 works best

• Member Contributer

I think Rush is correct. According to the Daugherty Motorsports website the CBR929 shock upgrade is for the 98-2001 VFR800 and the 2002+ uses a CBR600F4 shock for the upgrade.

JD has sold many 929 shocks to vtec owners, not the best app but doable IMO.

Check the "vtec shock options" thread, http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/19712-vtec-shock-options/

it discusses the mod needed for this app. That mini sub frame needs to be modded.

The CBR F4/F4i shock is a much easier install on a vtec unless you have de-linked the brake and removed all associated hardware.

BR

Ok, completed the conversion on Friday evening. Between 2 sick kids this weekend and spring cleaning chores, finally assembled the rest of the rear end. Took it for a spin and definitely stiffer; I also swapped the stock springs for 1.1kg sonic springs 2 weeks ago.

Regarding the bracket - it's been cut to suit the fitment of the new shock. I had the right side bracket modified with fasteners to keep the right side brake prop. valve stationary.

Archived