Paint Quality On The Red?

cug

Question to the owners: How is the paint quality on the red VFR? Is it clear coated? Is it holding up nicely for you? Any comments?

I used to have a pearl white back in the 90s and the quality was awesome. On the Ducatis the red paint scratches and rubs super easy, so I was wondering how it is on the VFR.

Seen all 3 colors, red, black and white. All very well made. The red stands out, as it looks particularly "deep". Like on certain expensive sports cars. Photos on monitors with normal color gamut (and most prints I've seen) cannot reproduce this, so you should see for yourself.

I understand that for the Ducati (no clear coat). That's why I was asking that here as well. I have seen a red one in the shop and it had already superficial scratches on the tank while the white was still perfect.

Just curious, not certain whether I really going to get a VFR, still thinking about an R1200R.

It's very difficult to see those same scratches on white. Just the nature of light vs dark paint, nothing to do with quality of the white over the red. Can't imagine why they'd clear the white and not the red...or vice versa. I have over 6k miles on my red 2014 and have a hard time finding any scratches after a wipe down with a good "quick detailer" spray. Hard to tell for sure if it has a clear coat. I'm thinking not, but can't be sure.

The white is a metallic paint which for me in the past has always been more resistent to scratches and rubbing. Metallic paint always get clear coat on top of the actual paint.

My 750 has clearcoat over the red ( I didnt do it, a PO did) and it looks great, and also it is a very hard finish and very scratch resistant.

Its not the norm however to clearcoat over non metallic paints so it seems.

Waxing will not remove any paint but using a mild cutting polish will. I have used Meguires scratchex on some hazing I had on the tank and had a small amount of red on my white rag.

• Member Contributer

Honda often mixes red paint in their clearcoat that will be applied over red paint. The S2000 forum is filled with posts about owners freaking out that there is red on their white microfiber towels. It adds to the depth of the red.

Well, I'm not very impressed about my red paint. The points where the plastic bends down at lower leg height has lost all of its color already and I'm only 12k on the road with it :sleep:

Well, I'm not very impressed about my red paint. The points where the plastic bends down at lower leg height has lost all of its color already and I'm only 12k on the road with it :sleep:

Mine is really holding up fine, but I can imagine your disappointment. if my knees were touching those spots you mention I would probably have put a protective strip on those spots. I have some very thin vinyl strips on my tank which are invisible from two meters but do a great job protecting the paint.

Mine is really holding up fine, but I can imagine your disappointment. if my knees were touching those spots you mention I would probably have put a protective strip on those spots. I have some very thin vinyl strips on my tank which are invisible from two meters but do a great job protecting the paint.

Should have done that indeed. There is a protection on the tank, both a Honda pad and an invisible strip between the pad and the saddle since there was quite fast some scratching visible.

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum. I recently purchased a red 2014 VFR800 Deluxe - at this point she only has 24KM on it. I love the bike for it's balance and versatility and am looking forward to riding it for many years to come.

After taking receipt of her I noticed a few very tiny blemishes (ticks) in the clear - one on the tank and two on the left fairing (one on top by the tank and one on the side). I hand buffed out the one on the tank easily with a few passes. I did the same with the one on the side left fairing. Both locations did not bring up colour. On the top left fairing by the tank however (same panel as the other buff) colour came up on the pad.

I contacted the Honda dealer & Colour-Rite (supplies OEM matching paint touch up) with detailed photos and a description of what was up. Both Honda Canada and Colour-rite confirmed the same thing, the colour on the pad was paint overspray on the clear coat - an anomaly in the paint process. Honda through their HO confirmed the bike is clear coated. Colour-Rite confirmed this too based on their paint formula used. My main concern was there was no clear coat and this paint was only a one stage paint. It is in fact a three stage paint process. A base, top and clear coat.

Last week I had the 3M Ventureshield paint protection (the full bike kit) installed which will help in protecting the paint. When I took the bike into have this done (the place also does paint correction) the chap reviewed the area where I brought up colour; this by running the back of his knuckle over the paint (this is more sensitive to imperfections than the point of your finger), and he faintly felt the overspray. I tried this and agreed. In discussions he also confirmed the bike was clear coated. Visually you cannot see the overspray and the area looks like the rest of the bike - perfect. Clay bar would remove it I gather. The problem with the paints today for environmental reasons is they are water based and not very durable - 3M is the way to go with scuff prone areas for the ultimate protection.

Cheers.

The problem with the paints today for environmental reasons is they are water based and not very durable - 3M is the way to go with scuff prone areas for the ultimate protection.

Cheers.

While I think it's mistaken to refer to this class of paint as water-based, I can confirm (as an engineer for one of the world's largest sporting goods manufacturers) that US and Japan paint regulations are quite prohibitive. Ironically some of the more durable coatings are coming out of China, with their generally relaxed environmental regs.

One thing to add, if it was a single stage paint there would be no clear coat and the paint would rub off each time you polish or wax anywhere on the bike (assuming all parts had single stage paint).

Archived