My First Proper Ride

Skids

• Member Contributer

Took Mrs Skids out on my new 1200 yesterday (Easter Monday) for 140 miles around central England (Hertfordshire, Northamptonshire, Warwickshire & Bedfordshire), mainly back roads. I learned a few things:

1. It's foooooking quick.
2. It makes a gorgeous howl from about 5700rpm upwards.
3. It's foooooking quick.
4. 2-up, the rear suspension needs setting up better or replacing, which is probably the longer-term solution. I'd increased the pre-load but perhaps not enough. I think I need to play with rebound too.
5. It's foooooking quick.
6. Seemingly endless drive from any revs.
7. It's foooooking quick.
8. Low end fuelling is excellent - very easy to ride around in 1st on the throttle and I found myslef using 1st a lot more than I do on the 800s.
9. It's foooooking quick.
10. At rideout speeds, tank range is ~150miles.
11. Did I mention.....It's foooooking quick!

Looking forward to the next rideout, with some mates this time, later this month.

Seems that ECU soft for fueling is much better from 2012 - before was terrible. Yesterday I rode a bit and after 280 km I filled 14,5l of fuel. I must admit that after ECU re-flash

fueling seems to be a bit better.

• Member Contributer

Seems that ECU soft for fueling is much better from 2012 - before was terrible. Yesterday I rode a bit and after 280 km I filled 14,5l of fuel. I must admit that after ECU re-flash

fueling seems to be a bit better.

19 miles/litre?

That's 86mpg.

I WANT that ECU!

• Member Contributer

I meant 19.3km/litre or 12.1m/l (that's the readout you get on the 1200 so it's easy to identify with it).

That's still 55mpg (Imperial gallons - 4.55l/gallon) which is a lot more than I can get on my 800 which is why I was confused.

I was cruising around 80-90kmh constantly not reeving it high at all. You may call it as ultra economy style. 98 octane fuel.

Not sure I want to do it again - I was just curious how low it can get. Normally I do 250km's and the gauge starts to blink - then

I usually fill 15-16 liters.

Before Guhl I couldn't get lower because this foooking quick bike was stalling on the lower revs therefore I had to rev it higher.

• Member Contributer

I was cruising around 80-90kmh constantly not reeving it high at all. You may call it as ultra economy style. 98 octane fuel.

Not sure I want to do it again - I was just curious how low it can get. Normally I do 250km's and the gauge starts to blink - then

I usually fill 15-16 liters.

Before Guhl I couldn't get lower because this foooking quick bike was stalling on the lower revs therefore I had to rev it higher.

That's interesting to know that you can stretch it out so much.

Should have taken a pic yesterday....at the bikers cafe we stopped at, there was a fully customised Vmax, 1500cc. Looked very nice.

Hey Skids, did you notice that it was foooooking quick? :happy:

I was trying to describe the VFR1200 to some of friends at UJMForums. Here is how I described the feel of the gears:

1st Gear - Stump Puller
2nd Gear - Lets try this again without flying backwards
3rd Gear - I don't really have to shift ever again
4th Gear - Woah, this is fast
5th Gear - You're gonna get a ticket
6th Gear - They'll never catch me!

That's interesting to know that you can stretch it out so much.

Should have taken a pic yesterday....at the bikers cafe we stopped at, there was a fully customised Vmax, 1500cc. Looked very nice.

Its possible but who"s gonna ride like that when it's so foooking quick LOL

My v-max is now 1400cc high comp pistons, belt drive project which I sadly had to put aside since I've moved.

Besides some ongoing pics I don't have any pics - last time it was running..more less LOL

About 7 years ago...70% of bike is tylor made:

5aow11.jpg

1st Gear - Stump Puller

2nd Gear - Lets try this again without flying backwards

3rd Gear - I don't really have to shift ever again

4th Gear - Woah, this is fast

5th Gear - You're gonna get a ticket

6th Gear - They'll never catch me!

That's some funny shit :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

I just love the linear feel of it.....it's not rip yer arms out acceleration, it's just feels non-stop and it's soooo tractable. You can be lazy and just leave it in 3rd or 4th and that beautiful exhaust note when the flapper opens is so deep. Can't wait to get my Dam fitted.

Never seen my vifer with the stock muffler - ordered akra right away. After riding the v-maxes for years, vifer is no screamer anyway.

Don't get me wrong I love the bike but its sounds somehow unusual...not a I4, not a V4 either...something between.

I just love the linear feel of it.....it's not rip yer arms out acceleration, it's just feels non-stop and it's soooo tractable. You can be lazy and just leave it in 3rd or 4th and that beautiful exhaust note when the flapper opens is so deep. Can't wait to get my Dam fitted.

You're talking about a VFR1200, right??

Most soulless exhaust note ever. My 6.75hp lawnmower sounds ballsier.

• Member Contributer

So you don't get a beautiful sound passing ~5700rpm?

Mine does.

Sell it, ride a mower...

The exhaust note is a bit disappointing coming from the 5th gen. At first I just wanted the bike to be quiet so I didn't hear it at all. However, after I got used to the sound I do like it. Just not as much as the 5th gens sound. There is just so much more to like about the 1200 that I can forgive the exhaust note.

Sell it, ride a mower...

If I could sell it for what I owe on it, I'd get rid of it today and go back to riding my R1. It's not a bad bike, but I have no idea how or why Honda made it sound like it does. You'd expect a 1200cc V4 to sound mean, not like an ATV.

The exhaust note is a bit disappointing coming from the 5th gen. At first I just wanted the bike to be quiet so I didn't hear it at all. However, after I got used to the sound I do like it. Just not as much as the 5th gens sound. There is just so much more to like about the 1200 that I can forgive the exhaust note.

Yeah, like there`s nothing else on riding a motorcycle that makes you like it...Also got used to the note and like it :beer:

If I could sell it for what I owe on it, I'd get rid of it today and go back to riding my R1. It's not a bad bike, but I have no idea how or why Honda made it sound like it does. You'd expect a 1200cc V4 to sound mean, not like an ATV.

I would never own a bike which I do not like but It seems that you decided to play Jesus - if you want my advice then I'm afraid you will get nothing from me.

I like this bike, I think it sounds odd but not like an ATV...and I own 1400cc 90 degree crank V4 with hollow 4-2-1 exhaust so I know how mean the V4 can be.

You need to understand that this crank journal design will never sound like a vmx1200 or vfr800 - but you also need to understand that everything has its pros and cones.

This engine is not much bigger then its older brother but yet almost twice more powerful and compact. How the crankshaft itself can affect the engine sound you can check with

a new 2015 R1 and its "crossplane" crankshaft.

I see a lot of people coming here and complaining how the vfr1200 bad is and how its not continuing the Honda V4 cult...which comes almost always from current or ex vfr750/800 owners.

Honda should name if different like FVR or RVF so we wouldn't have this older brother agenda..or it is a simple jealousy...we shall never know.

I don't really get it - if you dont like it, sell it but keep your heat for yourself - we happy 1200 owners like this bike and we don't want to hear how bad it is.

Well said satariel666. The VFR 1200 is an exceptional road bike. It's not an R1 or Blade and never pretended or was intended to be. It is a next generation VFR though and in my opinion keeps up an evolved VFR tradition very well. And as Skids points out (I think he mentioned this anyway!) it is fooking quick. I love mine, and like Skids have a DAM on order to enhance that V4 sound. To be honest, when I'm riding it and I open the tap hard, as much as I love to hear that V4 howl, I'm more interested in that wonderful rapid 'magic carpet ride' feel, how objects in the distance suddenly start accelerating toward me at a quite exquisite rate of knots and objects in my mirrors just shrink away, than how it sounds. But that's just me, I buy bikes to ride!

• Member Contributer

I'm still amazed by the 1200. I was slamming it into turns last weekend, WFO out of every corner. Handles so damn well, liter bike like handling and makes 92 ft lbs of torque at the rear wheel. In the Twisties it can do everything my R1 can, just more comfortable. It changes direction easily, stomps out of corners, and has outstanding brakes. From stock it needs to be de restricted (so did my r1, ECU flash), and have the suspension done but those are the same things that needed to be done to every liter bike I've owned. At 10k in purchase price I feel like I stole it. It is now getting more miles than my r1 simply because it can do most of what it can and it's more comfortable. The only thing I think Honda fubar'd was the original price.

I'm still amazed by the 1200. I was slamming it into turns last weekend, WFO out of every corner. Handles so damn well, liter bike like handling and makes 92 ft lbs of torque at the rear wheel. In the Twisties it can do everything my R1 can, just more comfortable. It changes direction easily, stomps out of corners, and has outstanding brakes. From stock it needs to be de restricted (so did my r1, ECU flash), and have the suspension done but those are the same things that needed to be done to every liter bike I've owned. At 10k in purchase price I feel like I stole it. It is now getting more miles than my r1 simply because it can do most of what it can and it's more comfortable. The only thing I think Honda fubar'd was the original price.

Well you and I have completely different experiences. Mainly because my bike is bone stock, yours is not. My R1 is not flashed, and it fuels much better than the VFR, IMO.

I bought the VFR because I expected it to be sporty and comfortable. I do not find it as comfortable as I had expected, and while it pulls decently higher in the revs, the stock fuelling in 1st/2nd is junk (yes I know, ECU flash) and the exhaust note is just disappointing, regardless of throttle application (IMO). I'm pretty sure a decat, a set of slip-ons and an ECU flash would probably fix most of my complaints, but that's also a lot of work and money to invest in a bike I'm not in love with.

I will admit I speed unintentionally much more on the VFR, because a) I can't hear it and b) I can't feel the speed. It is fast, but it is not as comfortable as I had expected it to be.

For what it's worth, I cancelled the insurance on the R1 and kept my policy on the VFR, so I'm at least giving it an honest try before I give up on the VFR. I'm really torn between two lovers, lol.

...Mainly because my bike is bone stock, yours is not....

Bone stock? Not even a Bazzaz unit for the 1st/2nd gear fix? That should make a world of difference right there. It's not going to fix the fueling issues, but it does give the bike a bit more spunk. I've got one that I pulled off my bike when I did the re-flash... If you are interested, PM me, I could save you some money from having to buy new (even though they are not that expensive new).

I haven't done the flash nor the Bazzaz yet. I wanted to get acclimated to the increased power of the 1200 before I did the flash. This way, when I do the flash, it will be like getting another new bike!

...Mainly because my bike is bone stock, yours is not....

Bone stock? Not even a Bazzaz unit for the 1st/2nd gear fix? That should make a world of difference right there. It's not going to fix the fueling issues, but it does give the bike a bit more spunk. I've got one that I pulled off my bike when I did the re-flash... If you are interested, PM me, I could save you some money from having to buy new (even though they are not that expensive new).

It is bone stock... I just bought it in October before the season ended here in Manitoba. I've maybe put 800km on between the end of last year and the two rides I've gone on in the short periods between thaw and freeze (weather looks to be finally warming up, calling for 20c on saturday)

• Member Contributer

Well you and I have completely different experiences. Mainly because my bike is bone stock, yours is not. My R1 is not flashed, and it fuels much better than the VFR, IMO.

I bought the VFR because I expected it to be sporty and comfortable. I do not find it as comfortable as I had expected, and while it pulls decently higher in the revs, the stock fuelling in 1st/2nd is junk (yes I know, ECU flash) and the exhaust note is just disappointing, regardless of throttle application (IMO). I'm pretty sure a decat, a set of slip-ons and an ECU flash would probably fix most of my complaints, but that's also a lot of work and money to invest in a bike I'm not in love with.

I will admit I speed unintentionally much more on the VFR, because a) I can't hear it and b) I can't feel the speed. It is fast, but it is not as comfortable as I had expected it to be.

For what it's worth, I cancelled the insurance on the R1 and kept my policy on the VFR, so I'm at least giving it an honest try before I give up on the VFR. I'm really torn between two lovers, lol.

I could tell the potential riding it stock. And in stock form, it still handled really well, extremely well, especially considering it's a sport tourer. Comfort? Man it's way more comfortable, stock, than any literbike. But nothing is going to turn it into a lazyboy chair.

The exhaust, stock, on most bikes, is quiet, very quiet. They all have to make the same or similar db readings.

I would suggest putting a set of helibars on it, which won't cost you much, my set was bought used. If you are unwilling to spend a little bit to tailor it yourself perhaps you should sell it. Sounds like you really don't like it so it's probably not the right bike for you.

I could tell the potential riding it stock. And in stock form, it still handled really well, extremely well, especially considering it's a sport tourer. Comfort? Man it's way more comfortable, stock, than any literbike. But nothing is going to turn it into a lazyboy chair.

The exhaust, stock, on most bikes, is quiet, very quiet. They all have to make the same or similar db readings.

I would suggest putting a set of helibars on it, which won't cost you much, my set was bought used. If you are unwilling to spend a little bit to tailor it yourself perhaps you should sell it. Sounds like you really don't like it so it's probably not the right bike for you.

I don't hate the bike, I guess I was just expecting... more? ...different??

I dunno, I'm torn between putting some money into it and seeing if it becomes more of what I wanted, or selling it and sticking with my R1 for now. The R1 is definitely not more comfortable, but I don't find the VFR much better, tbh. I should probably look into dialing in the suspension this weekend, it's still set however the previous owner had it, which I would assume was factory setup, since he didn't strike me as the kind of guy who would mess with that sort of thing.

I just don't find it excites me like the R1 does, and performance-wise all my R1 has is a pair of slipons.

Archived