Resonator Removal?

Marsman99

• Member Contributer

Getting ready to drop in a K&N air filter in my 1200 and read on a K&N thread that some had removed the air box resonators. Been scratching my head as to what benefit this would have. I'm thinking the K&N wouldn't change the air flow dynamics enough to deviate from Honda's design. Any thoughts?

• Member Contributer

I have been running with the resonator bottles removed since I did the valve check, and to be honest I have not noticed any difference at all, whether with or without the resonator bottles. :smile:

What little of it is just dead weight anyway.....I'd take them off...... just like a lot of us took off our air box snorkles...

Don't throw them away though, in case you'd want to return your bike to full stock configuration if you sell it....

I would think,without the "bottles",the airflow would be smoother. Some what of airbox porting.But as hrvdave has said,no noticeable different.With the mods on his bike it should improve things,if there is any gain to be made.Makes us wonder why Honda engineered these in the airbox

i would have to think that the bottles are there to smooth the airflow...cancelling turbulence through negative pressure....you have to be in an elite class of engineers to be hired by Honda to design their flagship motorcycles....i think the bottles are there for a reason

They are tuned for different power characteristics at different RPM ranges. Honda also tuned the intake plumbing differently form the front cylinder bank vs. the rear. One make better power at lower RPM, the other at higher RPM. Forgot which.

They are kinda like tuning the length of the ports in a vented subwoofer box to vary the bass frequency response. Or trimming a tuned pipe on a 2-stroke glow engine (for RC aircraft) for max power at peak RPM. I've done both and they were a lot of fun. On these bikes... I'd just as soon leave them alone. :cool:

• Member Contributer

Thanks all. I think I'll trust Honda engineering on this and leave the resonators there. I like the bike fine as is.

Archived