2013-2015 Vfr1200F Dct Better Than The First (2010-2012)generation?

• Member Contributer

Hello, I like VFR1200F but after paragraphs 2010-2012 and 2013 are different, the difference is that instrument, and the TC, really want to know, whether DCTclutch have upgrade, even better than the previous generation?Thank you for your answer friend :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

I don't know the answer to your question but keep in mind that the majority of people on this forum are American and only the 2010, 2012, and 2013 model years were sold here. Also, here in America, the non-DCT VFR1200F outsold the DCT model 2:1.

You may have better luck on a European forum as I'm fairly certain the VFR1200F was/is available there for all years covering 2010-2015. I think the DCT model may have sold better over there as well.

Europe;2010-2011 where the same - 2012 -2013-2014-2015 the same with traction Control. Difference ; Fueling(and fuel consumption) was much better from 2012 on bigger fuel tank(+1Liter). of shore traction control and less cardan "clong"( noise in the powertrain) on slow riding.And small changes, supplements in the dash like fuel consumption .

• Member Contributer

Thank you for your answer, I am from China VFR club manager, I am very glad to come here to study, also hope that one day the world any country VFR rider can become a family, driving VFR travel to each other's countries, also very welcome to come to China to travel around China, we will be provided to cool, the biggest help and happiness !

• Member Contributer

Well if we can't take international relations forward on that invitation, what will it take? :beer:

Hopefully EhViffer will check in here -- he actually owns a 2010 and a 2012. I imagine it's quite rare for anyone to have ridden a '10 DCT and a later model DCT for direct comparison.

• Member Contributer

There are a few differences I can speak to but it looks like the original poster is looking for DCT clutch differences which are definitely there. One of the more immediate things you notice is the clattering of the gears as it moves up and down the gears. There is a distinct clunking sound that is not there on the 2012. The gears also shift much more smoothly especially 1 through 3 as well the automatic shift points are different in that the shift seem a little higher allowing for smoother shifts. This must result in the bike being a little quicker. Off a stop each of us (my wife rides the 2012) can out accelerate the 2010 on the 2012. I even took my bike in early on (they were only bought maybe a month apart) because I thought there may be a problem. I had the Guhl flash done over this winter so we'll see later in the spring if the 2010 is still slower off the line after the re-flash.

The other changes most are familiar with; the seat was vastly improved, the 2010 got a Sargent overhaul because the factory seat was an instrument of torture and the 2012 still has the OEM seat and it works just fine. The larger tank (4.9 vs 5.0 gallons) makes a difference as the 2012 consistently seems to have about 50k more of range. The traction control on the 2012, though not very sophisticated, makes a difference on gravel roads - the 2012 does not seem to slew as much. There is also something going on with the electronics on the 2012 as it seems to remember if you drive more aggressively and the shifts change accordingly a little higher. In the auto setting on D mode it can feel like the S mode in D on the 2010.

In my signature below you can see the differences between the two bikes.

There are a few differences I can speak to but it looks like the original poster is looking for DCT clutch differences which are definitely there. One of the more immediate things you notice is the clattering of the gears as it moves up and down the gears. There is a distinct clunking sound that is not there on the 2012. The gears also shift much more smoothly especially 1 through 3 as well the automatic shift points are different in that the shift seem a little higher allowing for smoother shifts. This must result in the bike being a little quicker. Off a stop each of us (my wife rides the 2012) can out accelerate the 2010 on the 2012. I even took my bike in early on (they were only bought maybe a month apart) because I thought there may be a problem. I had the Guhl flash done over this winter so we'll see later in the spring if the 2010 is still slower off the line after the re-flash.

The other changes most are familiar with; the seat was vastly improved, the 2010 got a Sargent overhaul because the factory seat was an instrument of torture and the 2012 still has the OEM seat and it works just fine. The larger tank (4.9 vs 5.0 gallons) makes a difference as the 2012 consistently seems to have about 50k more of range. The traction control on the 2012, though not very sophisticated, makes a difference on gravel roads - the 2012 does not seem to slew as much. There is also something going on with the electronics on the 2012 as it seems to remember if you drive more aggressively and the shifts change accordingly a little higher. In the auto setting on D mode it can feel like the S mode in D on the 2010.

In my signature below you can see the differences between the two bikes.

Thanks for responding, didn't really mean to put you on the spot like that haha.

Archived