Seat Locking Help Needed

Loop

The Hook,Seat Catch (7) mounting bolt (9) came loose on my '99 VFR bike and the mechanism detached from the cable (2) and fell apart.

Luckily it fell into the FI housing under the seat and i still have it. After finding a new bolt and reconnecting it the cable and Seat Catch doesn't spring back when you release the lever on the Seat Lock Assy (1).

I don't have another bike here to see how it works and the parts diagram doesn't show where the spring is that makes it return.

Is it in the Seat Lock Assy (1) and is that's what might need to be replaced?

hj280077.gif

• Member Contributer

It would appear that you lost the return spring. I can't take a photot of the assembly right now, I can try and get one tomorrow.

Happened to me last year at Tmac just before we were heading out to ride. Put my seat down and *snap* whole thing fell apart, I was lucky enough to contain all the parts and put it back together.

-PRB

It would appear that you lost the return spring. I can't take a photot of the assembly right now, I can try and get one tomorrow.

Thanks for your reply...a pic would be great.

The most obvious place for a return spring would be between where the cable mounts to the frame and the Hook,Seat Catch.

Is that where you mean?

• Member Contributer

The spring goes in slot behind the latch that catches the loop in the seat and is held there by the frame when you bolt it back up.

• Member Contributer

So here is part #7, although you cannot see it, there is a spring inside this latch. If that little top plate came off, most likely the spring popped out. Might be easier to get a new or used latch. I hope this is helpful.

post-23057-0-30228100-1425324766.jpg

So here is part #7, although you cannot see it, there is a spring inside this latch. If that little top plate came off, most likely the spring popped out. Might be easier to get a new or used latch. I hope this is helpful.

attachicon.gifIMG_1887.JPG

Yeah,thanks that is very helpful.

That square plate is gone as well as the spring.

I'll have to try and find another somewhere.

• Member Contributer

I didn't realize there was a top plate. As I recall, there is a recess on the backside of that latch in which I inserted a ball point pen spring. Was darn hard to bolt back up without it coming apart...that's probably what the top plate would have helped with.

Archived