Tire Size Question

gregger

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if anyone has experimented with rear tire sizes for the original VF750/700F? I'm searching and having trouble finding any info. I found a tire calculator that shows a 150/70-18 to being very close to the 130/80-18 in diameter. Not sure if the width will fit in the swingarm or not. Ultimately I'm looking for something other than the usual Battlax BT45, and Metzler Lasertecs. I like how the Kenda Retroactive 676's look but can't find many reviews since they are quite new on the market. Thanks for any info.

I used a 150/70-18 and a 120/80-16 on my 1986 VFR750 quite successfully before I switched to 17" wheels and radial tires.

On my previous 1983 VF750F, I used a 140/70-18 rear and 120/80-16 front on the stock wheels no problem.

I use a 150/70/17 tyre on a '89 17 inch rear wheel. (Michelin pilot power) The best improvement i ever made on the old rc24. I know some people used a 150 tyre on the VFR 400 with 18 inch wheel. I do not think, you will get into trouble with the swingarm.

• Member Contributer

I'm partial to Battlax BT45's for bias ply tires. Been using them for years. Never had them ever step out on me even in the pouring rain.

And tread life is good. Hard to beat in my opinion.

What don't you like about them?

• Member Contributer

Just something to think about;

The 18" rear rim on my 83 Vf750F had me had me searching endlessly for decent rubber. After some research I bought a VF1000F 17" rear rim and swapped it over for my 18". I reused my spacers and axle and rotor from my original rim and it worked perfectly. The VF1000F rim is 3.5" rather than 3" and I was able to fit a Bridgestone S- 20 150/60/17 comfortably on the rear. There were no clearance issues. Decent modern radial rubber is the single best performance upgrade on these bikes in my opinion. JMHO

• Member Contributer

Best option ..

SPORT DEMON PirelliSportDemon_small.jpg
  • Sport/Sport Touring

• Bias ply tire with modern performance/mileage for late '70's to early '90's bikes

• Special front tire design and contour for improved handling

• Perfect rear tire block distribution for water drainage, even wear and optimized contact-patch from tire to ground

• Up-to-date sport compound: excellent dry/wet grip without comprising mileage

Pirelli ..

I'm partial to Battlax BT45's for bias ply tires. Been using them for years. Never had them ever step out on me even in the pouring rain.

And tread life is good. Hard to beat in my opinion.

What don't you like about them?

It's not that I don't like them, you just see them everywhere.

Best option ..

SPORT DEMON PirelliSportDemon_small.jpg
  • Sport/Sport Touring

• Bias ply tire with modern performance/mileage for late '70's to early '90's bikes

• Special front tire design and contour for improved handling

• Perfect rear tire block distribution for water drainage, even wear and optimized contact-patch from tire to ground

• Up-to-date sport compound: excellent dry/wet grip without comprising mileage

Pirelli ..

The sport demons are on my '84 that I bought last year, but unfortunately they are old, dry rotted and cracked very badly. I'd buy these but I don't see the stock size in stock on any sites that sell bike tires. That's why I was wondering about an alternate size for the rear. I do really like how these tires look, but haven't ridden on them. I'm not sure if the place in town here i get to order my parts could get them.

Archived