Brake/tail Upper Bulb Not On For Running Tail

badelman

• Member Contributer

Hey all, doing some measuring and such for retrofit of led bulbs at the brake/tail light and noticed that after I screwed the top bulb back in the always on (5w) is no longer lighting. I took it out to inspect the bulb and none of the filaments were broken. Upon attempt to put it back in I noticed that the "always on" was back on but turned off as soon as I clicked it into place by continuing to turn the plastic bulb retainer to the right to lock it into place.

Question.. Is this something simple or sign of a larger issue? Brake light works on both bulbs consistently. No apparent damage to the wires either.

Thanks,

Barry

• Member Contributer

From my riding with people on 6th Gens, that is normal. No idea why, or how to fix, but half or more have only one functioning tail light bulb. (Non scientific research)

• Member Contributer

Thanks Kevin. ..In an effort to further troubleshooting I now see that the upper filament on the bulb is indeed broken. Wow. I am a little irritated. I wore gloves and was very careful but as soon as I take it out half of the bulb is useless. Dang! Oh well.. another argument for LED?

New bulb pic here showing both filaments:

post-30321-0-89397200-1421350583.jpg

• Member Contributer

I was surprised that you initially said the filament was intact. I always assumed that it was vibration breaking them. Or muffler heat. CR46 confirmed my suspicions.

Don't know if an LED bulb would fare much better. Is there a full LED replacement unit?

• Member Contributer

I was surprised that you initially said the filament was intact. I always assumed that it was vibration breaking them. Or muffler heat. CR46 confirmed my suspicions.

Don't know if an LED bulb would fare much better. Is there a full LED replacement unit?

It was. I assume that by me taking the bulb out and putting it back was all that was needed to bust the filament. LED's are supposed to be better overall. There are complete replacement LED's and complete replacement tail/brake lights

1. LED's

2. LED Replacement Brake/Tail In Smoke - You'll have to translate the page

I prefer the red and amber colors so I think I'll end up with those color LED's in the original unit. My main purpose is to be more visible so I bought a brake flasher but it does not look great with incandescent bulbs as they flash too slow for the flash rate I prefer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FCPZLG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put a couple of these in my 07 and was very happy with the result. Brighter than regular bulb, and a nice big difference between tail and brake light output. They were still going strong 2 years later when I traded it in on my 2014. At almost $50 a pair, they're not cheap, but I think they are worth it. With how much of a pain that lower bulb was to change 2-3 times a year, I was glad to pay that much!

• Member Contributer

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FCPZLG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put a couple of these in my 07 and was very happy with the result. Brighter than regular bulb, and a nice big difference between tail and brake light output. They were still going strong 2 years later when I traded it in on my 2014. At almost $50 a pair, they're not cheap, but I think they are worth it. With how much of a pain that lower bulb was to change 2-3 times a year, I was glad to pay that much!

Thanks for the endorsement Dave!

Archived