Mods, Repairs, And Farkles!

astroman

• Member Contributer

For my money, the cheapest and most comfort giving for a commuter machine was a Givi Touring Screen. Makes riding in the rain and cold more comfortable. Some increase in gas milage as well. Cost about $120. It is warmer in the summer, blocking cooling wind from the cockpit. I change it out for my stock screen in really hot weather, if I have the energy.

• Member Contributer

My 2 cents worth, in order of preference:

Decent tyres

EBC HH brake pads

(you can probably justify these on the basis of maintenance rather than upgrades)

A fruity slip-on pipe (to release the proper soundtrack)

Decent front springs and a revalve

Daugherty modified CBR929 shock

I don't have an issue with the linked brakes (actually I think they're a great feature) and the EBC pads give much more power and feel. Bleeding is a bit more involved but how often is that required? Likewise the seat for me is not a real issue, I do slip around on it more than I'd like but after a recent 6 hour non-stop ride, I had a bigger issue with my wrists and knees (but then I am getting on a bit) and no butt or back pain to speak of.

I have made all of the above changes to my VFR. I had occasion to re-fit the standard shock to my bike for a couple of weeks while I was having a leaky seal fixed in the CBR shock, and can confidently say that for my weight (80kg MOL) the rear suspension is not too much of a limitation, but the front definitely is the weak suspension link.

What you change could depend more on the intended use of the bike. I generally go for shorter but intense weekend rides with little or no long distance or touring, so I'd rather have great handling than touring comfort, but that is just me.

I doubt that there is anything that you could economically do to the intake/engine/exhaust that would yield any meaningful improvements (aside from noise, which is justification in itself).

Feel free to rip out all of the PAIR plumbing as it adds nothing but weight (hug a tree if you feel bad for the environment due to an increase in unburned hydrocarbons), and for a 0 cost "upgrade" disconnect/close the flapper valve actuator.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm thinking of adding some gold levers and painting the bar ends gold to match the wheels, any advice on which levers to get?

looking at these on ebay,391055054761

Archived