Motopumps Review

wera803

I pulled my 2001 VFR down over the holidays to install some new braided stainless steel brake lines and while it was apart I decided to put new tires on it. Sounded the like the perfect time to try out my new MotoPumps Mini Pro Deluxe.

gallery_1859_7476_124536.jpg

The deluxe kit comes with a nice neoprene case to protect the pump and keep the accessories in one spot. I already have a battery tender lead on the bike, so I didn’t need to install the supplied one, but it also comes with a battery clip lead that can be used temporarily on a another bike if needed. It also comes with a cigarette lighter plug if you have one of those on your bike (or to use in a car).

gallery_1859_7476_26126.jpg

I figured I would try the worst case scenario of a flat tire. I first installed the new tire on the wheel, but added no air. I hooked up the MotoPump and plugged it into my battery tender lead. It took just under 10 minutes to get to 42 psi, but also had to seat both beads in the meantime. I was a little worried about seating the beads with the little pump, but it had no problems. The beads had lube on them from the tire installation though, so I’m not sure if dry beads would have been any issue. The tire/wheel was not mounted on the bike, it was behind it a couple of feet and the cord was plenty long enough. Normally I would put the bike on the center stand anyway when doing this, so the bike weight wouldn’t be on the tire while trying to fill it (not sure if it really matters though).

gallery_1859_7476_12683.jpg

gallery_1859_7476_124260.jpg

The pump has a LED work light that comes on whenever there is power to it (no switch) which would be very nice on the side of a road. The pressure gauge also lights up and makes things much easier to read, even in my garage it was nice to have the lit gauge.

gallery_1859_7476_180446.jpg

gallery_1859_7476_22978.jpg

The gauge is accurate as well, much better than I thought it would be. I checked it with the gauge I have been using for the past 10 years (which I checked against the Dunlop master gauge at an AMA race) and it was right on.

gallery_1859_7476_8417.jpg

I had a brand new gauge in the package, so I thought I would check it against that one too, and it confirmed the same pressure.

gallery_1859_7476_15714.jpg

The coiled air hose works well. I had to play with it a little to get it back in its compartment after stretching it out to air up the tire, but once back in there, it stays. I like the screw on connector too. My last pump had the locking lever and I always thought it was a pain to use.

gallery_1859_7476_69958.jpg

Hopefully I never have to use it on the road, but it will take up residency in my saddlebag so I have it with me at all times. Overall I’m happy with it and think it will do a great job when called upon.

Where did you get it? Price?

www.motopumps.com They just ran a special for the motorcycle show, but pricing depends on if you get the standard (without the case) or deluxe.

Did you have to change the fuse in the BT lead? I know it blew the 7.5a fuse when I used another brand of pump last time I had a flat.

I didn't even look at my BT lead to see what fuse was in it. The MotoPumps website says it draws less than 5 amps though.

Crap, just went and looked. Their lead comes with a 15 amp fuse in it, but my BT lead only has a 3 amp fuse in it and it worked without an problem. Guess I should at least bump that up to 5 amps so I don't have any problems later on.

• Member Contributer

Might be worth going to 7.5 A on the fuse. The label in the picture rates the pump at 6 A so you probably can count on the 5 A fuse to work every time in the garage and then let go on the side of the road. In the rain. At 2 am. :o)

Another idea might be to swap your BT lead out with the pump lead. If the BT has only a 3 A fuse it may be a smaller gauge than the pump lead and it would be safer in the long run to upsize.

That is a really nice little pump.

• Member Contributer

The owner of motopumps is on the Big List, but I've never seen a Lister discount price being offered! Hmmm... :goofy:

Ciao,

Archived