Eighth Gen Modathon (Round Two)

house

I decided to replace the bulbs with LED versions while I wait on more products to be released for the 8th Gen and/or more ideas to him me. This was a fairly simple deal, but you will need 6 Ohm load resistors to keep the blinker speed in check. I used Putco Plasma LED bulbs based on the reviews I read and the guarantee. Just pull the cover off the taillight, unscrew the two bolts that hold the rear taillight assembly in place, swap the bulbs and install the load resistors. I put mine under the wires that feed each bulb and just slit the cover of the factory wire sheath and tapped the wires with positaps.

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

As you can see, they are noticeably brighter

IMG_0076.JPG

Next up was the SW-Motech rear rack with the Givi Monokey plate for my luggage. I really like this rack and waited weeks for it to arrive. The only downside is that it has no grab handles.... which I didn't mind. It is heavy though... I feel like all the weight I lost with the Akrapovich pipe was just bolted back on :) I got mine at Twisted Throttle since SW-Motech won't ship to the US directly to customers. It is a well made rack and looks great.

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

Check out the blocking plate to keep whatever out of your underseat space

IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0085.JPG

It has metal spacers to keep the fairing in place, nice touch!

IMG_0084.JPG

This shot shows the clearance over the taillight

IMG_0089.JPG

With a Givi T459 Attached.... and a photobomb

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

Without any luggage

IMG_0091.JPG

• 3 months later...

I'm interested to know if you've had any issues with your LED load resistors and heat dissipation? No melted plastic anywhere? Did you consider swapping the turn-signal flasher relay rather than fitting load resistors?

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure these resistors are working correctly.... I ride year-round and the blinkers flash quickly when it's very cold. If it's above freezing, no issues. Looking for alternates to see if they make a difference. No heat issues so far

On 17/03/2015 at 6:19 AM, house said:

I am not sure these resistors are working correctly.... I ride year-round and the blinkers flash quickly when it's very cold. If it's above freezing, no issues. Looking for alternates to see if they make a difference. No heat issues so far

Just cold, or wet (very moist air counts as wet)? If there's a short across your load resistors (attached in parallel I assume?), that would explain the intermittent fast-flashing. A short could be caused by something as simple as water beading across exposed wiring (dashed line in the diagram below). I would check the insulation around your load resistor wire-taps, maybe add some extra heat-shrink.

post-18826-0-36918600-1426548910.png

• Member Contributer

Without any luggage

post-8630-0-87605000-1414172372.jpg

The Akrapovic really looks great on the 8th gen.

Could I ask where you obtained the front wheel chock? It looks like it could pull double duty in a trailer as well as the garage.

Without any luggage

The Akrapovic really looks great on the 8th gen.

Could I ask where you obtained the front wheel chock? It looks like it could pull double duty in a trailer as well as the garage.

They are from WheelDock and work great on a trailer. They have brackets to secure them to the trailer (or you could use anchors and secure the bracket to the garage floor if you wanted.) I don't use brackets in the garage as the WheelDock pretty much stays put. I've had them for a few years now and really like them. You just drive in and step on the release to lock your bike into the chock.

http://www.wheeldock.com/

Here's the brackets...

http://www.wheeldock.com/store/item/quick-detach-transport-bar

I also really like these for the rear tie-down mounts

http://www.wheeldock.com/store/item/stealth-plates-pair

http://www.wheeldock.com/store/item/tie-down-kit-pair

The stealth plates allow you to pull the tie-down mounts in case you need to have a flat surface on your trailer, but still have the bolt mounts in place for later use without having to crawl under the trailer to re-mount.

Just cold, or wet (very moist air counts as wet)?

If there's a short across your load resistors (attached in parallel I assume?), that would explain the intermittent fast-flashing. A short could be caused by something as simple as water beading across exposed wiring (dashed line in the diagram below). I would check the insulation around your load resistor wire-taps, maybe add some extra heat-shrink.

attachicon.gifResistor_wiring_diagram.png

Definately just when cold... been caught in the rain a few times and had no issues. Now that the temps are above freezing, no issues. I used Positaps, so switching out the resistors should be quick (they are a little buried, but no more than 15 min to swap them out.)

If resistors were receiving voltage constantly, then heat might be a problem, but for the short time they are on, they shouldn't get hot.

E squared/resistance=power, 12x12/6=24 watts, what rating did you use for resistors?

• 2 weeks later...

House, did you install LEDs just in the tail, or did you do your front indicators too? I'm having a bugger of a time figuring out how to squeeze load resistors into the mirror housings. I've got the 2-inch long 6ohm resistors. If you've done this mod, I'd love a quick photo?

post-18826-0-99715100-1427442036.jpg

Archived