1200Fda Abs Light Stays On, Won't Change Out Of 1St Gear

Guest jasenjorge

Guest jasenjorge

Hi all,

This is my 1st post, & unfortunately it's due to a problem. My bike is a 2010 VFR1200 FDA, only 8,600km's.

Last Tuesday I rode 1000km's in the one day, got home, parked bike in garage...went to bed!

During the week removed front wheel & replaced front tire, didn't ride it.

Today went to install a USB charger & accidentally crossed the positive with the negative terminal on the usb socket, didn't blow a fuse on the bike (that I could see anyway!) but did ruin the usb charger. I was connecting the wiring directly to the accessory plug on the left hand side behind the front fairing.

The reason I mention above is so you know exactly what I've done since I rode it on Tuesday.

After replacing the plastics when installing the usb charger, I started it up to go for a ride, BUT would not change out of 1st gear & the ABS light stays on! The manual says in regards to the ABS light that there may be a serious problem!!!! The drive is making its usual low speed clunking noise but outside of that the bike seems normal.

I have since disconnected the battery & reconnected to reset the ECU, no joy!

Before I take it to a dealer I'd really appreciate any advice/help, I'm nervous as to what it may cost me once in the hands of a Honda dealer, & secondly not sure how competent Ozzie mechanics may be as these bikes didn't sell well in Australia, up until now I've loved mine!

Cheers

Jasen

• Member Contributer

What did you connect the USB power to ? I would remove the USB port and recheck your fuses. Disconnect and reconnect your battery and see if it clears.

Oh and welcome ..

Hi Switchblade, thank you.

I connected the USB power to the accessory plug that is positioned on the left hand side of the bike behind the front fairing, its a plug that is taped to another lead & has a dummy plug attached, I had read about it elsewhere, I think it is where Honda would source power for heated hand grips or other accessories.

Because I blew the USB socket I don't actually have anything connected other than the 12v (pink/green) wire & earth (green)wire with loose ends, until I get another USB socket, saved me having to pull all the plastics off again.

I'll disconnect the 2 wires today & do the battery thing again & let you know.

Cheers

Switchblade,

Disconnected the wires, still won't change out of 1st gear & ABS LIGHT STAYS ON. I think either an ECU problem or drive problem, but the bike has only done 8,600km's!

The only positive is, since disconnecting the battery (twice), the supposed ECU RESET has made a massive difference to the slow speed riding & clunking from the drive! It' s incredibly smoother.

Anyway, unless someone knows how to either reset the ECU so the computer gets it out of LIMP MODE i think i'll be stuck going to a Honda dealer.

Thanks

• Member Contributer

Might be worth taking a look at the front wheel to make sure the ABS sensor is okay.

• Member Contributer

With your transmission if the ABS light is lit it will not shift out of 1st and if I am not mistaken you have to get the dealer or someone with a ABS scanner to clear it.

• Member Contributer

That's a bummer for DCT owners having a malfunctioning ABS system leave them in that kind of fix. A manual shift owner could presumably continue on as normal though without ABS, but a DCT owner has to limp along in 1st. Since the front tire was replaced, as suggested above the wiring to the front ABS pickup, the pickup itself or tone ring might be worth a second look. IIRC there is a clearance spec for the pickup and the tone ring - a slightly bent tone ring would probably throw a code.

• Member Contributer

Do DCT models have gear boxes that are only electronically controlled? As in no shift lever or mechanical linkage?

Ok, time to make fun of the Aussie!!!

Before you start laughing at me, thank you to Dawson's post which lead me to my monumental mistake!

I'm going to man up & tell you what went wrong....

I put the wheel on back the front, i.e. The black round thing on the side of the wheel that has holes in it has something to do with the ABS sensor on the right hand side fork by putting the wheel on incorrectly it was on the opposite side of the ABS sensor!!!!

A dumb mistake but thanks to Dawson prevented me from complete embarrassment if i'd taken the bike to a dealer!!!

Thank you for everyone's contributions, now it proves the bike is smarter than I!

P.S. mysteryrider246, the DCT bikes don't have shift levers, they have paddles for manual mode, but not in the way a manual bike is driven.

Personally I have found the DCT system of this bike awesome, it's no less fun than riding my previous VTR1000, the DCT is very sporty but I don't plan on competing at Phillip Island anytime soon either. In some forums the DCT version gets a bad wrap, but I'm sure most negative comments come from those who haven't ridden this bike & aren't justified.

Cheers again, I can hear you all laughing...but I'm relieved.

• Member Contributer

Glad it was an easy fix!

You probably got a tire meant for the Northern Hemisphere, everything turns the other way round up here... ;o)

I spent years chasing electronics for a fuelling problem before discovering some loose hose clamps. It's really easy to jump straight to blaming the electrics on these bikes and miss some mechanical that would have been the first thing to look at on an older bike.

Archived