Warm Idle Adjustment - Where's It Gone?

Grum

• Member Contributer

Picked up my new 2014 VFR. Once home noticed the warm idle was around 1800 to 1900 rpm instead of the normal 1200 rpm. No probs went to the lower RH side fairing to adjust it only to discover its not there. Checked the owners manual and found there is no mention of the warm idle adjustment and at the back of the book in the specs it states "Idle 1200 rpm. Non adjustable" !!!

Eventually discovered the same adjuster of previous gen VFR's is now located in the same spot on the LH side of the bike, and had no trouble setting it to 1200rpm when warm. Guess this makes for easier access now as the coolant reservoir is no longer in that spot.

Cheers.

Grum.

• Member Contributer

Hi Dogman.

Don't think that is the case. My three previous VFR's were set correctly at 1200rpm warm idle when purchased. Seem to think pre-delivery is not carried out properly and perhaps even the workshop guys are not aware that the warm idle adjustment is now on the opposite side. I have a copy of the pre-delivery set-up instructions and the warm idle setting is not even mentioned in that!

Cheers.

Mine was idling fast at around 1500 rpm when new and they adjusted this to 1200 rpm at the first service. My bike has now done over 4000 miles and it still idles at 1200rpm so it has remained stable .

But I'm curious to know where to set the idle. Any chance of some pics?

• Member Contributer

Hi Dogman.

Don't think that is the case. My three previous VFR's were set correctly at 1200rpm warm idle when purchased. Seem to think pre-delivery is not carried out properly and perhaps even the workshop guys are not aware that the warm idle adjustment is now on the opposite side. I have a copy of the pre-delivery set-up instructions and the warm idle setting is not even mentioned in that!

Cheers.

My idle RPM has gone up 3000 RPM in 500 miles.

What is in the pre-delivery instructions, anyway??

And where's the PDF of the service manual? :wink:

• Member Contributer

Rectaltronics. Bloody Hell if your "idle RPM has gone up 3000 RPM in 500 miles" may I suggest you take it back to a dealership and have it rectified ASAP under warranty. You may have a faulty fast idle wax unit, jammed throttle cable or something horribly wrong with starter valve setting.

Pre-delivery instructions cover all details from removing the bike from the package crate, fitting windscreen, toolkit, battery, footpegs, mirrors, seats, cowl, grab rails, fluids, throttle cable adjustment and the removal of protective plastic coverings etc....

As for the PDF of the service manual, I to will keep my fingers crossed for that one.

Cheers.

Grum.

• 7 months later...

Mine idles at ~1750. Same with one other RC79 rider I met. They all seem to be at that setting?! Wonder why.

p.s. where is that knob? At the fork? At the side? I see nothing like that near the shift lever. Does the fairing have to be removed?

• Member Contributer

Mine idles at ~1750. Same with one other RC79 rider I met. They all seem to be at that setting?! Wonder why.

p.s. where is that knob? At the fork? At the side? I see nothing like that near the shift lever. Does the fairing have to be removed?

Look back just one page in this thread.,

• Member Contributer

Some 8th gen buyers have reported idle set as high as 3000 RPM out of the crate and for some bizarre reason, most of the shop owners pay it no mind at all. Someone at Honda must have undergone Six Sigma training and figured out that letting the owners or the shops adjust their idle will save $86.50 a year.

I've seen the pic dude, there is no part on a local spec RC79 that looks like this (frame paint (though it might be the photo), type plate next to it). But I guess it found it now.

500 km more until the 1000 km service (got mine only since last week).. think I'll have the dealer set it.

• Member Contributer

I've seen the pic dude, there is no part on a local spec RC79 that looks like this (frame paint (though it might be the photo), type plate next to it). But I guess it found it now.

500 km more until the 1000 km service (got mine only since last week).. think I'll have the dealer set it.

Did you get the white one? Pictures?

I think mine also had a quite high idle when new. I realized that after the first service when the idle was suddenly much lower. On the other hand, the engine ran quite badly the first 500km.s before it was run in. I had to rev it quite hard when taking off, otherwise it stalled. After that initial run-in, it was/is smooth as silk!

(When I first started the bike this year, it had a warm idle of around 2500. I just turned it down with the knob on the left. I probably got my hands on the knob by accident when installing the quick shifter this winter.)

Did you get the white one? Pictures?

Yep. I'll open a new thread.

I had to rev it quite hard when taking off, otherwise it stalled.

I stalled mine quite a few times already. I mostly put it on me not being used to riding with a manual gearbox (my NC has DCT), but I did have the feeling the engine is acting a bit touchy, as I didn't have these problems at the beginning with the other manual bikes I rode before.

I am now close to 500 km and I think it got a bit better. Did it just gradually disappear after 500 km, or did you have the initial service early?

I stalled mine quite a few times already. I mostly put it on me not being used to riding with a manual gearbox (my NC has DCT), but I did have the feeling the engine is acting a bit touchy, as I didn't have these problems at the beginning with the other manual bikes I rode before.
I am now close to 500 km and I think it got a bit better. Did it just gradually disappear after 500 km, or did you have the initial service early?

First ride home from the shop was a disaster in a stalling matter. :wacko:

I soon took it out for a little longer trip (about 300km) and the feeling was that it gradually got better. The low tourqe just came sneaking out of whatever place it was hiding. After about 500kms it was what I consider good and ok. I did the service at 1312km (=815miles). It never stalls on me now, unless I make it to. :wink:

I believe during run-in the piston rings seat and seal better in the cylinders. Before it is run-in the compression is lower, thus leading to some strange behaivour. Honda might compensate this by setting the idle rpm a little higher than normal at factory, and thereafter let the initial service adjust it more properly after run-in. It's just a thought...

Come to think of it, taking off was a lot easier with the demo bike I rode last year, which had about 3000 km on the clock. I think you're right.

I read in a German forum that adjusting idle speed is one of the tasks of the first service. Seems all or most copies leave the factory with the high setting.

You would think that any tech worth his/her salt, would just adjust the idle if they noticed it was out of the 1200 rpm spec...no charge or even mention needed. Doesn't matter why it's in the shop....pull the bike in, notice the high idle, turn the screw, continue with the work that was planned...It only takes a few seconds and no tools.

Archived