T-Rex Racing, R&g Racing,rdmoto.eu : Protective Bits N Pieces

Rob916

• Member Contributer

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone has fitted any of these yet, or equivelants . the only frame sliders i found from R&G are the ones where you have to cut/drill the fairing, not something i want to do which is why im considering the T-Rex equivelant from ebay, a little on the expensive side after customes fees to have it shipped to france but sorta looks okay and seems to bolt to the frame and not the motor, i could be mistaken.

The RDmoto brand i have never heard of, so im not sure if they're any good,they seem discreet n small, prehaps too small . ( weird, on ebay they show them as no cut ones, but on thier site they say cutting is needed )

The plugs from R&G seem okay too, can anyone see any problems with hiding the 4 holes with the corrasponding plugs ? apart from the fact they are pricey for what they are .......

i just ordered the honda hugger from Webike in japan, was 30€ cheaper than my honda dealer who said id have to wait 4 weeks and 45€ cheaper than ebay, now just to see if its the real deal and if the rather over zelous french customs dudes are going to request i pay fees or not, at worst it'll be a fake part and ill have to pay 40€import duties . anyways ......

thanks for your views,opinions, and prehaps first hand experience . feel free to add any other ideas relating to protecting our stunning little VFR's .

:biggrin:

post-31156-0-41204300-1409499623.jpg

post-31156-0-24840400-1409499630.jpg

post-31156-0-94380700-1409499632.jpg

post-31156-0-20118100-1409499637.jpg

post-31156-0-81470100-1409499641.jpg

post-31156-0-58325500-1409499645.jpg

• Member Contributer

I really don't see how those bobbins that mount to the axles will do anything. You want to keep the fairing off the ground, and those won't do squat for that. The sliders have to stick out far enough that they hit the ground instead of the fairing, at least that would be my thoughts. Unless you're looking for leg and/or foot protection if you go down, they might work for that.

I really don't see how those bobbins that mount to the axles will do anything. You want to keep the fairing off the ground, and those won't do squat for that. The sliders have to stick out far enough that they hit the ground instead of the fairing, at least that would be my thoughts. Unless you're looking for leg and/or foot protection if you go down, they might work for that.

The sliders in the first image protect the fairing. The ones on the forks and swing arm are to protect exactly what they're attached to. I think the idea is to have something one each protruding point so they work together to keep the more expensive parts off the ground.

And sorry, I have no experience with either of these set-ups. The last time I had sliders on a bike, they shattered on impact and I thought it was a waste of money. That was about 10 years ago though, when frame sliders were usually one or two per side and were a delrin stick protruding from the side of the bike. I think there's much more going into the design of these things these days.

- dave

• Member Contributer

I have seen most or all of those T_Rex parts installed on their test bike (which is now for sale at DFW Honda). The bike is white and the sliders look beefy. The clutch cover slider looks clever as well.

The rear axle slider is much larger than the one in your picture, it is about the diameter of the rear carrier and although it is Delrin (or generic HDP) I would be concerned about the added rotational mass.

T-Rex is a local company (to DFW Honda) and gets early release new bikes from them for prototyping and DFW Honda get to sell the prototype parts on their new bike.

• Member Contributer

I have used the Trex cut sliders on my K1200S for their intended purpose (unfortunately) with good results. I put the no-cut sliders on my RWB 6th gen since I wasn't interested in installing a new coolant overflow tank and cutting my fairings. Cutting was the only unhappy part about the K12S installation. I did it and am glad I did, but didn't want to put myself through that torment of cutting perfectly good fairings again.

The sliders were installed for additional protection to mechanical bits, not really to protect plastics. Although they do a fair job of keeping your plastics on the bike rather than shattered to a degree they are worthless. If I throw the bike down in the mountains, I like the added insurance I can pick it up and ride it home unless I wrap it around a tree or launch it from a cliff. Seems even more important on the 6th gen with side mounted radiators, although you don't have that problem on the 8th gen! More protectors in more places will do more protecting, right? Do they make helmet mounted sliders?

• Member Contributer

thanks guys for all your input, i'm pretty sure ill be ordering the T-rex ones for xmas, even though after shipping and customs it'll cost me about 280 odd $ i feel like it will be worth the peace of mind .

Archived