Help 4Th Gen Clutch

Dutchy

• Member Contributer

I started to notice that my clutch was getting a bit noisier, ticking increasing with revs.

And once last week I felt the clutch slip (once).

I just took Sebs clear cover of, took out the springs and measured them. They are well within specifications.

Puts the springs in agian and here is where I made an error.

I misread the manual and after turning the bolts that go in the springs in (by hand) strated torquing the first bolt with 22Nm

This the reference number, the torque value is 12Nm

OOPS!

As I approached the 22Nm value on my torque wrech I heard a "crack". This led me to re-examin the manual and discover my error. Took the bolts out and remeasured the spring, it was still as before so in spec.

tighten all the bolts to 12nm, refitted the cover.

Now...

The clutch lever could be pulled in completely and after 2 pumps firmed up.

BUT

I cannot pull the clutch in

Put the gearbox in neutral (had it in 1st gear to prevent rolling of the sidestand)

Started the engine and killed the engini right away. It sounds horrible. Rattling VERY loudly.

I *suspect* but what do I know a cracked clutch friction plate...

I will now have to pull the entire cover off (have spare set clutch plates and gasket.

but in the mean time, your diagnosis and advise is much appreciated.....

I had the same issue with my one fourth gen and the handle. It turned out to be air at the master cylinder. I couldn't budge it.

As for the noise, I'd probably go in and pull the entire clutch to see what you find and certainly change the oil afterwards

• Member Contributer

Duh....

I had only removed the clear clutch cover and did not (nor could) see if the plates were fitted between the legs...

post-8974-0-97698900-1409137354.jpg

Och well, I can now check the thickness of the plates... :-)

Started the engine and killed the engini right away. It sounds horrible. Rattling VERY loudly.

now you have a Ducati :woohoo:

you seem to have a spare of everything -which is always a good thing-

i have a spare key for my bike, thats about all the spare parts i have :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

Clutch friction plates are still good

The inner clutch basket though has some significant? grooves

post-8974-0-09049500-1409140392.jpg

My spare clutch has grooves too but not as significant..

post-8974-0-43246500-1409140458.jpg

I feel a winter project coning up....

Unless what you see makes you tell me to stop riding the rest of the summer.

Wow, lucky for you.

The clutch basket itself is a big dollar item, so check it carefully while you have it all apart. Give the tangs a sand if they are showing any signs of deformation.

The clutch basket is the same part number from 1986 to 1997, for anyone who may need to track one down.

Leon you'll get away with sanding the tangs back, that wear is not 'significant'.

i've seen much worse wearing marks on clutch baskets than that, on my old 1980 Honda Goldwing GL1100 project that i had couple of years ago, but it was 34 years old with 80k on it and clutch was still running fine. im no expert, but i would assume these wear marks should be no problem

• Member Contributer

Wow, lucky for you.

The clutch basket itself is a big dollar item, so check it carefully while you have it all apart. Give the tangs a sand if they are showing any signs of deformation.

The clutch basket is the same part number from 1986 to 1997, for anyone who may need to track one down.

Leon you'll get away with sanding the tangs back, that wear is not 'significant'.

Cheers Phantom and rauouf!

Bought a spare clutch assembly (baskets, bearing, clutch plates, metal plates) for the pressure plate. So I could paint that and have it ready for when Seb's cover would arrive.

Paid 50 euro's which I now realise was a steal..... (sold the friction+metal plates on for 25 euro)

AND the spare pressure plate now comes in VERRy handy

• Member Contributer

new plate in, problem solved.

The plates were all around 2.8-2.9mm so that is not bad at 87,000km

Good you got it sorted out, I have to take a look at my clutch also next winter, I suspect I have wraped metall plates......Noisy and a lot of vibrations when leting the clutch out at higher revs

• Member Contributer

Well, I reckon my redslut's holes are getting a bit worn.....

Have always used a torque wrench to button up the clutch cover (12Nm), but one bolt still stripped the thread in the casing :-(

Rumaged in the box of bolts and found a longer allen bolt that did the trick. Could not find a proper sized small diameter O ring. But she took 12Nm so fingers crossed....

post-8974-0-54478200-1409224405.jpg

Never a dull moment with my redslut!!! :-)

Archived