Alarm/security

polbit

Hey everyone, just got a White '14 VFR800 Deluxe yesterday! Loving the bike, and would like to keep it for a while so I've been thinking about getting an alarm. Looking at either the Scorpio i900 or the Gorilla 9100. Do you guys have any experience with these, and how easy are they to DIY?

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

I have a Scorpio i600 model and it is great, so I can only imagine that the i900 would at least be that good. Very easy to install since they make custom adapters for VFR's, very low battery drain and adjustable sensitivity. Before buying I researched Gorilla and Scorpio and in every way found the Scorio superior.

My 4th Gen is still sporting it's ancient "Ungobox" alarm it might be old, but it still works!

Dang!, you know what?! I think the battery in the transmitter fob is still the original one!

• Member Contributer

@expvet - when I lived in Brooklyn back in the 80s and 90s NOBODY paid attention to car alarms. They just pissed people off trying to sleep. Have times changed?

• Member Contributer

@expvet - when I lived in Brooklyn back in the 80s and 90s NOBODY paid attention to car alarms. They just pissed people off trying to sleep. Have times changed?

I had a Scorpio with its high-pitched piezo in my recently murdered 4th-gen and a few years ago the little key fob starting buzzing and beeping while I'm at work. I run to my office window to look at where the bike is [still] parked and see a bunch of guys hurriedly piling back into a beat up looking minivan and peeling rubber outta there.

I'm 100% certain that if it were not for the alarm that VFR would have been in that van and gone.

Your Mileage May Vary.

• Member Contributer

Right now Scorpio does not have an OEM connector kit for the 2014 VFR. They haven't seen the new VFR yet.

I won't have mine until Wednesday it looks like.

Anyone know if the prior Honda OEM wiring kits will fit the 8th Gen?

I ordered the harness kit from older VFR, and it does not work. However, the install couldn't be simpler with the generic kit. Just did it in under an hour, and most of that time was figuring out where to place everything. So far it works great, but it's too late to start testing it... I'll play with it tomorrow.

• Member Contributer

Why not fit the Honda accessory alarm designed to fit the 8th Gen?

Not as full-featured, i.e. no proximity mechanism, doesn't look like it has an ignition kill, the remote doesn't tell you anything about why its going off. Also no documentation about operating frequency or transmitter range, or current draw when engaged. And it mounts in an awkward place if and when adjustments are required.

Feel free to tell me if I'm wrong.

Why not fit the Honda accessory alarm designed to fit the 8th Gen?

Not as full-featured, i.e. no proximity mechanism, doesn't look like it has an ignition kill, the remote doesn't tell you anything about why its going off. Also no documentation about operating frequency or transmitter range, or current draw when engaged. And it mounts in an awkward place if and when adjustments are required.

Feel free to tell me if I'm wrong.

+1. Scorpio is a solid kit, works as advertised, and I dig the remote. All it's missing is a remote vid camera :)

Archived