Clutch Chatter

JimGregory

I don't think I have ever had a jap bike that didnt have clutch chatter to some degree. I don't think I have ever had a euro or american bike that did. What gives?

Yes my 98 has a touch of chatter. It shifts incredibly. Best I have felt in 45 years riding. So I don't care I guess. OK plainly I do care.

Well the bike is new to me. Chattered from when I got it at 3600 miles. Not bad, but there. Just changed oil..same thing. In fact the oil that came out looked new. My PO told no lies.

Guess it is what it is till new clutch time whenever that may be.

I don't take off hard. I like the front tire on the ground or close to it.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

wanted to say thanks for this thread... described what I started feeling the other day under the same circumstances as Aimbot9000 described.

Is it just best to replace all the disks (friction and...the others) and the springs? I had thought about just replacing the frictions but don't want to go through it piecemeal if it's best to replace the whole thing.

thanks!!!

Alex

Most VFR800's experience high rpm clutch engagement chatter. I am willing to bet that those who have not experienced it, have not left from a stop at above 5000 rpms. Anyways the usual VFR clutch chatter is caused by too little spring pressure for too much clutch friction plate surface area. Honda did this, to create a nice light lever for touring, while still being able to manage a relatively heavy and torquey bike. Unfortunately the side effect is an unstable clutch pack at high rpm engagement. It is a relatively easy fix, if you don't mind a heavier clutch lever. The standard drop in barnett springs help raise the chatter point up a thousand or two rpms, but did not totally fix the issue. A set of

Barnett 99lb #MT-91 Springs

totally cured the chatter. Launching at 10,000 rpms is a breeze now. The lever is pretty heavy though lol.

• Member Contributer

mine's doing it at 3-4000 rpms... i usually goose the throttle and dump the clutch an instant later.

I don't know how much wear the clutch had before I got the bike, it could be 50% or more gone. I'm assuming as the friction disks wear, that effectively reduces the spring pressure on the pack, making it more sensitive?

My 2007 has had clutch chatter since day one. I tried bleeding the clutch lines a million times, adjusting the lever, polishing the push rod, deburing the steels, giving the friction plates a light sanding, nothing worked. Only after installing the heavier springs, did the chatter go away. FYI, I am at 70,000 miles on the oem plates now, with most of those miles having heavy abuse on the clutch and 20 or 30 thousand miles having the 100 pound springs. The clutch is still doing great.

Archived