Rc51 Forks, What Should I Be Paying?

SlimWhitey

Question

12 answers to this question

well, guess that's not happening.

Just got off the phone with Daugherty. He'll go through my OEM forks with all the fixins and upgrades available for about 500 bucks. that's springs, valves, rebound, new adjustment caps, seals and bushings, etc. I see no need to go through the pain of an RC51 conversion for upside down anodized forks that I still need to go through and modify. that's also half the price of the RC51 parts if I could ever find a decent front wheel. with the money saved I can get started on the undertail exhaust. :D

I'm assuming 2000 Year VFR800 headstock is the same as a VFR750's. If it is - everything below will be relevant:

About $500 - $750 may buy some good forks. SP2 are usually more expensive than SP1 (They have different internals) but you need SP1 triples. The SP1 caliper carriers & calipers are also different to the SP2's, so don't be caught out by that. You'll also need a wheel (SP2 is lighter than SP1, but more expensive), discs, spindle and spacers + a front fender + a set of new SP1 head bearings, seals, lock ring, top nut, etc. in addition to some different bars. The triples have a steeper offset than the VFR's original, which should make for a faster steering bike. I don't think it's too agressive though. My SP2 is set up more agressively than standard and is still a solid bike to ride - fast).

The main benefit of RC51 forks is they're a very good design with much adjustability and the brakes are very strong as standard since the discs are 320mm (SP2's are 1mm thicker than SP1's) and the calipers are of good design.

They benefit from a 19 x 18 Brembo master cylinder. If anything, braking will be excessive on a VFR, so one finger will be enough for pretty much anything. Reduced effort on braking will mean better brake modulation and control.

It's a conversion worth doing - but it will cost you a lot more than $500 for a complete setup with all the parts required. I haven't counted what I spent but it was considerably more than $500 and I didn't have to buy many of the parts as they came off my RC51 when I upgraded to better stuff - so go in with your eyes wide open. It won't be that cheap to do!

You could also look into a CBR954 front end. Discs are 310mm and forks not as good + a bit shorter I believe, but they should work OK and would probably be cheaper. It'll have a 3-spoke front wheel though which is interchangeable with an RC51 SP1 or SP2's.

If you haven't seen it yet - I put up a thread on this conversion as my bike project in the last couple of weeks. When I finish with the carbon wheel conversion in a few months, my existing SP2 front wheel will be for sale.

I'm assuming 2000 Year VFR800 headstock is the same as a VFR750's. If it is - everything below will be relevant:

About $500 - $750 may buy some good forks. SP2 are usually more expensive than SP1 (They have different internals) but you need SP1 triples. The SP1 caliper carriers & calipers are also different to the SP2's, so don't be caught out by that. You'll also need a wheel (SP2 is lighter than SP1, but more expensive), discs, spindle and spacers + a front fender + a set of new SP1 head bearings, seals, lock ring, top nut, etc. in addition to some different bars.

he wont need a new lock ring or top nut, he can ruse the viffer ones, but he will need a 954 top triple and helibars for height and clearance.

• Member Contributer

After selling the old parts it ran me about $1000, final price. Didn't revalve or respring, they were track bike school forks, set up for aggressive riding.

"Straight" forks bought off the "net" are seldom straight, took me 3 tries.

• Member Contributer

I'd say that would be a good guarantee. I got a Dan Kyle 1/6 throttle with mine. :comp13:

KORS Suspension did mine, R&D engineer at RaceTech I heard who broke off to do his own company and instruct at MMI.

Interesting that the RC weighs in stock, wet, at about 475-ish. My 5th gen is 500+- wet,so not too far off on weight, even from a stock VFR.

You could also look into a CBR954 front end. Discs are 310mm

Nope. 330mm on the 929/954

Sorry, I stand corrected. I knew they were 10mm different, just bigger than smaller. :)

About $500 - $750 may buy some good forks. SP2 are usually more expensive than SP1 (They have different internals) but you need SP1 triples. The SP1 caliper carriers & calipers are also different to the SP2's, so don't be caught out by that. You'll also need a wheel (SP2 is lighter than SP1, but more expensive), discs, spindle and spacers + a front fender + a set of new SP1 head bearings, seals, lock ring, top nut, etc. in addition to some different bars.

he wont need a new lock ring or top nut, he can ruse the viffer ones, but he will need a 954 top triple and helibars for height and clearance.

Yeah sure, he can re-use the old lock ring but the tabs might be a bit weakened. I used an SP1 (Tyga) top triple and a custom made titanium nut. The VFR nut would have been too short and it would have looked ugly.

I used convertibars, which have more adjustment for positioning, etc. There are different ways people will do stuff, I was just sharing my recent experiences in case it helps the OP.

DSC_3951_zps1fac84f4.jpg

If I ever get on at the mine once I get my journeymans ticket and start getting paid 90 grand a year, maybe I'll do an RC51 swap with all the awesomeness of custom machined wunder-farkles.

till then, on 22 grand a year as an apprentice, I think I'll have to hold off and just get Daugherty to set my stuff up for me. Which I don't mind at all.

I avoided 929/954 forks because they are so short. they're a good 20mm shorter than the RC forks anyway.

Archived