First Motorcycle

This makes me feel a lot better knowing I didn't get ripped off with the price. I will look into that harness and carrying around a spare reg. The last thing I want is to be stranded somewhere!

You could get a used MOSFET regulator from another bike and fit that - which won't break. I think I used a YZF-R1's on mine and found a seller on Ebay offering the correct plug & terminals kit too...

Mine only broke at something like 68,000 miles after 23 years since production (last year). Your's may still have a lot of life left in it...

Pretty much agree with what everyone else has said.

• Beef up the charging system no matter what.
  • That exhaust is made of unobtanium so take care of it!

However, after I talked to Jamie Daugherty (at great lengths in his shop) heavier fork oil is not always the best idea for heavy riders. Going to a heavier oil also retards oil moving through the valving. I am not very well educated in suspension, so I would definitely contact Jamie D and ask his opinion. Don't start a thread on here, rather email him directly. I've seen how busy that guy is and he has little time to get online, but he checks his email regularly throughout the day.

If you have the money, I highly recommend Jamie's services. As long as you are completely honest about your weight, riding style, & budget, you will get a suspension that will transform your bike. No joke.

Awesome! I'll have to get in touch with him after I get some more money. I've spent quite a bit these past couple months with moving cross country and after this sizeable purchase, I should probably take the wife to a romantic steakhouse before buying even more stuff for myself. A mosfet reg and tires are high up on the list though. Should probably change all the filters as well. It is still running a (dirty) paper air filter!

• Member Contributer

I should probably take the wife to a romantic steakhouse before buying even more stuff for myself.

:goofy:

i guess us Europeans have a different interpretation of "taking your wife to a romantic place....."

(and make it the one in France, not Las Vegas.....)

eiffel_tower_at_night_paris_france-norma

If you want a corbin leather seat for that sweet black beauty for half of what corbin charges you I have one I'd let go for 250 bucks.

Well the seat that it has is in fantastic shape right now. I hear the Corbin seats are really comfortable though. Would the little plastic back seat cover still be able to fit with the Corbin seat?

Sweet find there....like everyone has mentioned...fork oil...coolant..clutch and brake flush a must. PR4 are awesome tires as well. Lucky that puppy didnt fall over on the grass...if anything else find a soda or BEER can and smash down fot your kick stand...watch out for that hot asphalt. Also it would be wise to practice in a parking lot stopping and getting comfortable with using the front brakes.....that is what my buddy did with me when I bought my first street bike in 84....Intercepror......ATGATT bro..be safe

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, quick update. I resynced the carbs. Even with the 90 degree motion pro screwdriver, it sucks. Anyway, now it idles down to 1,000rpms. I also installed the r1 mosfet regulator. Took all of 15 minutes including installing a heavier duty ground wire. Now I don't have to worry about the regulator failing. One thing I was wondering about though was while riding today. Is there a fuel reserve? If so, how do you access the valve?

nope, no fuel reserve IIRC. The 3rd gens have a light like the fourths. Not sure on how much fuel is in the tank at that point, but it's a good idea to get gas in her then. btw, did you get a mosfet off flebay or elsewhere? Mind pointing me to a link? I have an aftermarket with vfrness and heavier 12 gauge grounds, but can never be too careful. I'll be carrying a stator with me as well.

TheDude! Big focus on getting and keeping your ,new' bike right. And, you're well into it and loving it. But about that gear to wear. You may be familiar with MotorcycleGear.com Earlier known as NewEnough.com They are always worth a look for sales, close-outs, even used gear from their customers. Within the last 2 weeks they have had great deals on helmets, mesh jackets, one & two piece suits, boots, gloves, etc.

Best wishes toward safe riding on a great looking bike. As you can tell; there's a terrific collection of highly skilled VFR fanatics and all around nice people here. Good fortune, R3~

Yeah, I bought the regulator of ebay. It is the FH020AA regulator. I can't remember the link offhand. I just searched R1 MOSFET Regulator and got one from there. I think I paid $49 for it.

Oh, I will take a look at the site. I just listed the stock exhaust for the bike on the classifieds section on here. I'll use the money from that to buy an actual street bike helmet for my wife. The dirt bike helmet doesn't really work for her!

• Member Contributer

That was a very good find.

I know TX prices are a little different but here that would be a great deal for a 3rd in good condition. Yes beaters are a bit lower but usually the plastics are gone or more gone than usable.

From my limited experience driving in TX traffic cars seem a little slower overall than here in LA, so most motorcyclist seem to be going fast. Also harleys are the rule there, not sport type bikes. ( I mostly spend time in the Austin area, but have been to SA, Houston and north towards the dfw area.) What I'm getting at is that sport bikes are really overlooked and not anticipated as much there. Driver's are used to the loud harley tone signalling them that a motorcycle is close.

Get a decent flow through jacket and try to avoid standstill traffic.

I can lane split so I can keep the air flowing and negate some of the summer heat, but it's still going to be hot when it's 90+

Practice slow speed maneuvering in a big empty parking lot. Including stopping, parking and getting off and on...

My street riding axiom is there are only two types of drivers:

1. The ones that don't see you, so expect anything from them and

2. The ones that see you but either want to block you, tailgate you or knock you off and run you over.

I seem to be getting close to 200 miles to a tank but I think my midrange needs a bit of work since when I gently accelerate from a stop, it stutters and misses around 4-5k at 1/4-3/8 throttle. I guess I will need to do some checking to see whether it is lean or rich. Does anyone know a good VFR shop in the Dallas/Ft Worth area?

I also got a nice mesh jacket that flows real well and has some armor to it and tomorrow I get to retire my dirt bike helmet since my O'Neal Commander Bluetooth helmet will finally be here! The wind likes to catch the sun visor when I'm going above 70 so having a real street helmet will be quite nice (and quiet too). I've already put on over 400 miles since I got the bike less than a month ago and I don't think I will ever tire from the sound of that wonderful engine.

^^so do I and I am not easy on the throttle.

also, run a good fuel cleaner through your system if you think the midrange is anemic. The carbs are not fun to play with jetting wise, that is if they were even jetted. IF it is the mid range, depending on what rpm, the culprit is probably the clip on the needle.

Will do. I have been running that fuel stabilizer through it every tank because this bike was made well before they started putting ethanol in fuel. I'm hoping that will help eventually.

I'm slowly creeping up to 200 miles per tank. I'm not sure if I'll ever get there though. Right now I'm over 160 miles before my light comes on, but there is no way I have 1.5 gal left. I can only put just over 3 gal in. The more I ride the bike, the better gas mileage I get. I've gone about 700 miles so far this year. I've been running a shot (1oz) of Mystery Oil in with my gas fill ups and it's supposed to increase fuel mileage and clean out the top end. So far it seems to be working.

Archived