Do You Run From A Bike With No Title?

dalesvfr

Question

• Member Contributer

This 1984 just popped up on my local CL for $700 which sounds dirt cheap. But no title, and in NY state that is a pain in the butt. Do you run screaming? Jump on it? Or buy it to part out?00b0b_fapEsPjP0oJ_600x450.jpg

• Member Contributer

A few years ago I bought a 1972 BMW airhead from a guy who sells old bikes up in Woodstock NY. He gave me a bill of sale and a weird home made form he typed up with spaces for his name, mine and the VIN number. He said get it notarized and take it to the DMV with proof of insurance and I would get a transferable registration (no title '72 and back). My DMV looked at me like I had three heads. I call him up and say WTF? He said 'no, no, take it to the Kingston NY DMV - they do this for me all the time. I did and walked out with my plate.

As it is I have a couple of trail 90s I bought last year, seller claimed he had paperwork for on the phone. Then I load them up and he says he has to look for it . Now he doesn't return my calls. The 70s stuff scares me less than the 80s stuff. I think I'll watch if it goes cheaper, or maybe someone will snag it up for a track bike or parts. It's in the Hudson Valley NY CL if any of you are interested. Says it runs, so....

• Member Contributer

Just sent the guy an email asking for the VIN number to run a check on. Will see the response, or non-response as it may be.

Archived