Bagster Tank Bags

30Bones

Anyone run these? http://www.baglux.co.uk/ One came with my bike as well as a small GIVI tank lock that I love and have never taken the bagster out of the storage bin.

My online searches find they are from the UK, pretty spendy and VERY ugly....I mean FUGLY!

The tank protector is ~$200 US and the bag that clips to it is another $150-200. Maybe I need to dig it out, install it and see what I think of the fugly factor once on the bike. If not, classifieds it goes.

• Member Contributer

The idea makes sense in a way. But it sure doesn't help the looks of a good looking bike. Maybe for a BMW or a V-strom, or something that looks aren't its strong point. But the VFR looks too good to put something like that on. I rented a Honda ST1100 in Spain that had one of these on it, but I had a magnetic bag and was SOL.

• Member Contributer

I have a Bagster and I think it's a nice setup. It's on my bike all the time and has helped keep the tank scratch free. But the zips on mine are worn and don't mesh properly. I'm thinking about replacing it with a Givi tank locker bag.

Half tank bras, now that's an ugly setup. I had one but sold it to someone in the UK.

• Member Contributer

I've used Bagster/Baglux on my bikes for over 20 years. They are a French company with a long-standing UK operation, but I know they were imported into the USA for several years at least. "Fugly" may be in the eye of the beholder... But they are definitely very practical. The mounting system protects the tank and allows the bag to be quickly removed. I am also able to use the same tank bag on nearly all of my bikes, with only the purchase of a custom tank cover. I've even got a "universal" mount somewhere that I once used whilst renting a bike in California. And, of course, there's this:

hpim1410.jpg

Ciao,

The Bagster is a serious piece of kit if you tour with luggage. 100% protection for the tank, many bags available from small city travelers to stackable touring units, to dog carriers apparently. All bags fit the same platform, across all makes and models. The larger bags hold huge amounts, no Givi TankLock can compare.

Lots of people using TankLock systems but they bolt to three gas cap lugs which were never meant to take any kind of weight, good for mobile and wallet and that's about it

• Member Contributer

I have one on mine. I wouldn't shell out the bucks for one new, but it's a damn nice setup.

My main issue is that the tank bags don't have any structural support and begin to sag and collapse over time. Still very usable, but I've had more than one instance where something almost fell out of the side. This is especially noticeable if a couple of heavier items such as a bottle of water shift while riding.

• Member Contributer

My main issue is that the tank bags don't have any structural support and begin to sag and collapse over time. Still very usable, but I've had more than one instance where something almost fell out of the side. This is especially noticeable if a couple of heavier items such as a bottle of water shift while riding.

That is one of the negatives. Mine has a permanent slump to the left from parking on the sidestand. And like most tank bags, it has a rain cover that occupies a fair bit of space when not in use. But the utility of the bag is excellent. Too bad the zippers are wearing out so that it doesn't zip tight anymore.

• Member Contributer

Lots of people using TankLock systems but they bolt to three gas cap lugs which were never meant to take any kind of weight, good for mobile and wallet and that's about it

I don't think that's really an issue, especially on 5th-gen and above, where those three bolts are M6 threaded into steel. My current tank-mounted electronics set-up is fairly heavy and totally solid with an SW-Motech Tank Ring mounted using the filler cap bolts. One could even argue that the M5 bolts used on the 3rd/4th-gens are better suited for that role, as they are more likely to allow whatever is mounted there to break free in an accident...

Ciao,

I've got one. Second hand from the previous owner and very happy with it. Tank cover holds the bag very securely and I don't have to worry about scratching the tank, either with the bag on or off. Worth it for the protection for the tank alone - I sometimes manoeuvre the bike by hand with the tank lent against me to take the weight. The quality of the bag is a slight dissapointment - zips could have been better; they shoudn't have skimped on the zips. I've seen a few on UK ebay recently; they are not heavy - so postage might be reasonable to the US for an ebay item?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-VFR800-NON-VTEC-BAGSTER-BAGLUX-TANK-COVER-RED-/380934365275?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item58b175205b

and..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vfr-800-Vtec-baglux-bagster-tank-cover-great-condition-/331245242896?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4d1fc14a10

Well dang it! I guess I will rig mine up this week/weekend while I am waiting for my newly rewound stator to show up. I'll report back what I think.

I don't tour much at all anymore so I don't need a huge tank bag, but respect those who do and have a need for one.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a baglux tank harness that came with the bike and I was sceptical about it's usefulness. However I use my bike for commuting, like the seat cowl in place and IMO the Givi top box set up looks awful and ruins the lines of the bike.

So I bought myself one of these:

http://www.motolegends.com/brands/bagster/bagster-tank-bags/baglux-driver-tank-bag-black.html

i'm really impressed. Very useful, clips on and off in a few seconds and is expandable. Feels very well made, converts to a rucksack off the bike with integral straps. It's perfect for carrying what I need for work each day and I don't find it gets in the way at all (which is what I assumed would happen).

I used a Baglux system on my VFR almost 20 years ago... :beer:

It kept the tank scratch free and was useful for touring. I must've done at least 50,000 miles with it on the VFR, to carry my lock, etc.

When I imported the bike to Japan last year I didn't bring the bagster with it, but if I had I'd still be using it. It's a pretty useful system. I'd never use magnetic tank bags... :mellow:

• 1 month later...

Well I finally installed it to see if I wanted to use it for an upcoming trip. I really like the tank cover, but the bag itself is too large and covers up my grip heater controls and is just too close to the bars themselves. I have HELI bars so that's most of the reasoning. I'll be listing this for sale as I'll never use it on this bike and won't own a VFR without HELI bars.

smugshot_3168452-XL.jpg
smugshot_9112174-XL.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that tank bag looks quite large. I would also try one of the smaller 'bagster' bags if you can. I have a 20-litre (which is expandable). It is quite narrow at the front end and doesn't get anywhere near the bars ( and I don't think it would with bar risers either). Just a thought. I'll try and take some pics at the weekend if you're interested.

that tank bag looks quite large. I would also try one of the smaller 'bagster' bags if you can. I have a 20-litre (which is expandable). It is quite narrow at the front end and doesn't get anywhere near the bars ( and I don't think it would with bar risers either). Just a thought. I'll try and take some pics at the weekend if you're interested.

Thanks, but they are too much money and need to be shipped form the UK. I have yet to find a US seller.

• Member Contributer

I usually do not use the bags anymore, but I still use the tank covers. Your GiVi bag should work fine with it.

Ciao,

Archived