3Rd & 4Th Gen Oil Pipe Relacement Option

• Member Contributer

Hi All,

Rick Oliver (Honda V4 RC,NC & RVF expert in the UK) a good friend of myself and JZH has contacted me with an option for long term 3rd & 4th Gen owners like myself that will eventually need to replace rusty oil cooler pipes.

Rick has had prototypes made for his RC30/RC36 hybrid which was featured in Practical Sportsbike Magazine last year and he has asked me see if I would ask if anyone on VFRD would be interested and he would get another batch made?

They are made from high grade stainless steel & would come complete with A4 s/steel cap screws & new seals, the male thread is 3/8 BSP and in the UK at least is a very common oil pipe fitting size. Rick thinks he should be able to do them for approx' £35 + P&P. Rick's contact details are Tel : +44 (0)1603720387 email : RickNC30@gmail Or PM me and I will try and put a deal together for us.

Thanks,

BigB

post-20492-0-84414100-1403727262.jpg

post-20492-0-22693000-1403727274.jpg

post-20492-0-04186600-1403727288.jpg

Hello VFRD people - this is the aforementioned Rick Oliver, now a new member here...

A quick update to Brian`s message, firstly to correct my email address, which is -

ricknc30@gmail.com

- and secondly to say that for a group buy I would need confirmed orders for 20 pairs of takeoff adaptors - if we can achieve that they will be available at £30.00 per pair including UK carriage. I`m happy to ship anywhere in the world, extra postage will be charged at cost.

Rick

• Member Contributer

I was wondering if these would work on a 5th gen, but it appears that the oil pipe boss was changed after the 4th gen (see pic below).

post-362-0-14181900-1403890225.jpg

In any case, the adapters look great, but I'm concerned about the thread. I'm pretty sure that BSP is not compatible with NPT (the pipe thread used in the 'States), so it would be challenging (and expensive) for anyone outside of the UK to get the appropriate hose ends. Goodridge, Earl's and Russell all make hose ends using the AN specification, which is available pretty much everywhere. The other thing to consider is the thread on whatever oil cooler will be used--many have male AN thread fittings. In my attempt to check the size of the AN thread form, I stumbled upon these, in a Goodridge catalogue I found online:

post-362-0-04433500-1403892619.jpg

I believe that 9/16 x 18 UNC/JIC is another name for AN -6. Unfortunately, it also appears that these Goodridge parts are not available anywhere? One suggestion I read somewhere was that HEL Performance can supply similar adapters, but they don't list any on their website.

Replacing the rigid chrome oil lines on my 3rd gen has long been in the "to do" pile, but it looks like a right can o' worms!

Ciao,

Hi, John -

Not sure about Gen5 but I know that the VFR800 VTEC engines use a fitting which, though it looks very similar is actually a different size from the one used on VFR750s (including the earlier models) and UK-spec NC30s. I don`t know which of those two sizes matches the one used on the Blackbird.

3/8" BSP is the size of the inlet/outlet bosses on the Mocal oil coolers that use on my bikes - the hose fittings are the push on barb type like these...

post-30730-0-12746000-1403899478.jpg

They are available from any Mocal or Goodridge dealer and most other hydraulics factors in straight, 45deg or 90deg form and use off the shelf 3/8" hose - the stuff in the original pic above is braided steel with a black fabric overbraid.

Rick

Loose ends and points that I missed -

Those Blackbird adaptors are the same as VFR VTEC, therefore different from Gen1-4 VFR750.

Nothing of this sort is available from HEL - I have a trade account there and checked with them before I started this project.

Supply of suitable components is not a problem - Demon Tweeks here in the UK have Mocal coolers with 3/8 BSP outlets on the shelf together with all the necessary fittings and hoses and they are happy to ship anywhere in the world. Bike-size Mocal coolers start at around £65 and if you`re ordering from outside the EU don`t forget that you can get an instant 20% discount by simply asking them to deduct the VAT (UK sales tax).

Finally, my prototype batch was actually 5 pairs of these adaptors, of which I only need 3, so if anyone wants a pair immediately at the `one off` price of £35.00 please contact me as I have a couple to spare.

Rick

• Member Contributer

you better take your posts down and ask the moderators if you can post about your stuff 1st..

i was BANNED because offered good service cheap. now i dont touch vfrd members bikes.

Archived