Chain Slack?

Ranger77

• Member Contributer

Every vid I watch just shows people pushing the chain up but the FSM says a line below and above the chain. So is it up & down movement or just up?

Double arm bikes have more room between the chain and arm but it seems like on our single arm, the chain a a lot closer.

• Member Contributer

The spec is for total movement up and down; should be between 13/16th to 1 and 3/16th. I find that that the chain, once adjusted, should not hit the rubber piece under the swingarm. If rear wheel is adjusted all the way to the rear and the chain still touches the rubber protector, a new chain and sprockets in called for.

• Member Contributer

I pull the wheel back so the top of the chain is tight and eyeball the total movement on the bottom to top pushing the chain up to the swingarm. I dont super stress over it, but a little loose is better than a little tight.

Interesting to note that manuals from the 4th, 5th and then 6th gens each progressively spec the chain looser than before.

• Member Contributer

I run mine so if I push it up it will just touch the bottom of the buffer. Got nearly 40K out of the last set.

It helps if you can sit on the bike, and have someone else check the slack with the suspension compressed to make sure it's not too tight.

Archived