97 Vfr750 New Owner 2K Rpm Rough Running [Stumble]

• Member Contributer

Had the bike about a month, 39000 miles, I've changed all the fluids,brake, clutch, coolant, oil and filter. replaced air filter and spark plugs. Checked the valves [no adjustment needed] and balanced the carbs also no adjustment needed. 2 questions 1, at about 1900 to 2000 has a stumble, hesitation not a smooth feel like rest of rpm range. Is this a normal characteristic?? or do I need to clean the carbs?? Note the old plugs came out a nice toast color. 2nd question how hard is it to change fork oil and what weight oil should I use, [i'm 165 lbs 55 yrs. old and don't plan on doing any corner carving] just want to make sure its clean and not muddy. Great bike great ride loving it. Thanks, Danapost-30227-0-21056400-1401759397.jpg

• Member Contributer

1- the stumble is certainly not normal. If the bike sat for a long period, cleaning the carbs may not be a bad idea - although it's never something anyone really wants to jump into since they can be finnicky to remove/re-install.

2- some model years have drains on the fork legs, IIRC. If you have them, you are set. If not, you'll need to turn the bike upside down to drain the oil. :) Or remove the fork legs and drain them, whichever is easier... I can't remember the recommend fork oil weight, hopefully someone else will chime in or you can do a search in the suspension forum, I'm sure it's covered somewhere.

• Member Contributer

Thinking about it some more, you are really noticing a stumble at 2k? As in, while revving the bike or while actually riding? Because I am pretty sure that the only time I ever see 2k is when I am gently taking off, or putting along in a traffic jam. I don't think my bike stumbles there, but then again, I am not sure that I would notice if it did...

• Member Contributer

I'd trying adding some Seafoam to your fuel first to see if that will help. Easier than pulling the carbs, for sure.

For fork oil Honda recommends their SS-7 which is actually 5wt oil. And if you can check your valves you can change the fork oil. Loosen the pinch bolts and fork cap but do not remove before you take them off the bike. To lift the front wheel off the ground place a car jack under the headers in the opening of the belly pan. Put a block of 2x between the jack and the header.

The manual says you only need to remove one brake caliper (I forget which) to remove the wheel. And that's true but I find it much easier to put the wheel back on if you remove both. Plus it will give you a chance to clean them.

You've got a great looking bike there. My 95 at 167K km has a few, ahem, character lines in its plastic.

Oh and don't forget to check your electrics. If the r/r is oem you might want to think about getting a spare plus a VFRness.

• Member Contributer

To lift the front wheel off the ground place a car jack under the headers in the opening of the belly pan. Put a block of 2x between the jack and the header.

Of course, put the bike on the centrestand first, and then lift the front end up with the jack.

• Member Contributer

same here, when riding never notice a stumble at 2k since that upon accelerating.

so if you feel a hesitation when taking off that is not normal.

I occasionally chuck in some Berryman in a tank.

My carbs were checked at 45k miles, still in sync

I changed forks last Sunday, a simple carjack will do the trick

post-8974-0-25739200-1401865574.jpg

the 3rd Gens did have a drain bolt (like the CBR600F3 have that I put on). The 4th gens not, but the molding of where the bolt was tapped is still on the lower fork legs

post-8974-0-03550200-1401865555.jpg

You *can* drain the oil with the forks still on the bike; by using a impact driver on the bolt that screws in from the bottom of the fork leg. Once loose, quickly pull away and put on rubber gloves and put in an allen key....

• Member Contributer

As Prince sang

"My face is red, I stand corrected........"

Your Charlotte has the looks too though................... :cool:

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the replies. Think I'll try the Seafoam 1st. As far as the fork oil is concerned, Has anyone tried a vacuum pump like the kind you use for brake bleeding with a long thin hose to suck out the old fluid?? Just a thought.

Change of subject {should I start a new post?? new to forums not real sure what is proper]. I put my Helibars on this weekend and found I need to replace my steering stem bearings. Should I use stock or is there a better replacement? I'll do the fork oil when replacing the bearings.

Again Thank you for your help! Dana

• Member Contributer

Again, I hate to be "that guy" but a quick search through the site (go look in the maintenance forum) will show that most peope go to a tapered stem bearing, generally "All balls" brand. I believe there is also a How to thread with pictures. :)

hope this helps.

Archived