3Rd Gen Gas Tank Cushion Locations?

So were in the final stretch of getting my bike ready for paint, but as I was looking through schematics of the gas tank I realized there were some cushions missing. I ordered the missing ones through partzilla, along with the trim pieces(currently there is a split fuel hose someone else put on as a makeshift trim) I was originally looking for. So does anyone have any idea where these things go? Is there any way someone might be able to post a picture with the factory locations? Here's mine, exactly how we pulled it off(minus fuel hose trim)

Photos1018_zps086cb099.jpg

• Member Contributer

So were in the final stretch of getting my bike ready for paint, but as I was looking through schematics of the gas tank I realized there were some cushions missing. I ordered the missing ones through partzilla, along with the trim pieces(currently there is a split fuel hose someone else put on as a makeshift trim) I was originally looking for. So does anyone have any idea where these things go? Is there any way someone might be able to post a picture with the factory locations? Here's mine, exactly how we pulled it off(minus fuel hose trim)

Photos1018_zps086cb099.jpg

Looking at the picture right side middle looks like a "T" the little rubber donuts go on the end of the t and slide into the opening under the steering head, see part #23 in the link

http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/oem-parts/HONDA/1993/VFR750F/FUEL-TANK-90_93 I was able to find Rubber washers at lowes, so I did not have to wait for the correct ones.

Hope that helps

• Member Contributer

The black rubber thingies you better glue to the tank.

upon lifting the tank they tend to fall off; with bad luck somewhere between the cilinder blocks...

Also, on the opposite side of the T piece with the grommets, there is this long bolt affixing the tank to the frame.

There is an inner sleeve (In V4 Rosso's picture you can see it it just sticking out at the bottom); if this is not perfectly centered, you will not be able to get the tank on (or off)

Thanks again, guys! Yeah, that sleeve is no longer being made, apparently. They called it a collar, but I cant really find it. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the tip, and thanks for circling the spots for me

Maybe you can get a similar looking and sized piece of rubber to stick on the side of the tank, as long as it protects the tank from touching the frame you are OK.

Here some pics so you know what to look for:

csection.jpg

The orignal rubber is about one and a quarter inch in length.

fitted.jpg

This is how it is attached to the tank.

Awesome pictures, thank you! But I already have those purchased, the only piece I couldnt get was the rubber collar that slides into the hole for bolting to the frame. Also, that #18 piece actually isn't those spots you circled, those are #22. Wondering what the #18 piece is going to wind up being. Ill post pics when i get them in!

Archived