Traction Control

• Member Contributer

I'll probably buy an eighth generation when the time comes. I will need to replace my 2005 eventually. I just passed on a nice 2008 with 3000 miles on it since my 2005 is still going strong.

My question is what will having traction control do for me? Will it work like a slipper clutch when I shouldn't have downshifted going into that tight left hander on Little Tujunga? Will it cut power to the rear wheel if I start to low side?

I definately want ABS and a center stand which means I'll have to buy the "deluxe" version but I'm not at all sure about the traction control. Is it something like ABS where some people love it and some people hate it or is it reasonably undetectable?

Thanks

• Member Contributer

I have traction control on my ST1100 and have never even noticed it.I like the looks of the new bike,apart from the vtec and chain driven cams it would be a world beater in my opinion.

• Member Contributer

Riding my brothe's ST1100, I twice had the traction control kick in

-revving away from a road tolll booth where there was an oil slick

-hitting a patch of ice -in a straight line thank god- in mid winter

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

I have yet to encounter a situation where the Traction Control on my VFR has been anything but a nuisance.

Crossing a wet, worn manhole cover, felt the back slide out under power, it did nothing.

But it frequently kicks in if I grab a big handful while crossing broken pavement. Which here in NYC is the norm.

I am in the habit of turning it off most days.

I have ridden hundred of thousands of miles on bikes without traction control and while I have had my share of pucker moments, I never felt that my well-being was threatened. But if I am planning on getting a jump on other traffic from a light and TC says OH NO YOU DON'T because the pavement is uneven, resulting in jeopardy with the traffic I planned to pass, you can effing keep it.

The ABS on the other hand I am quite fond of.

• Member Contributer

Hi Robin,

i have to agree entirely with Rectaltronics, we do not have the broken pavement but the principle is the same in and coming out of the many round abouts (traffic circles) that litter the french villages, that have very uneven surfaces a lot of the time.

(cheap skate repairs after winter months or just cheap skate repairs in gerneral )

it just cuts the gas when i really do not need it too, and takes too long to give it back again .

i leave it on in winter conditions but turn it off in warmer conditions .

The ABS i do rather like to have though . :)

• Member Contributer

Don't have a problem with the traction control at all. Have had it kick in on various occasions without any ill effects. Mainly on fine sand on roads, afore mentioned over banding and ice. Oh and sodden grass when putting it in shed.

Archived