Cheap Gps Alternative

Rogue_Biker

I'm kind of a cheap bastard. GPS for motorcycles is a great tool to have especially when you're touring/exploring. But after a little online shopping I'm a bit sticker shocked at the prices of motorcycle specific GPS units plus their mounts. Since I'm cheap I would rather spend that $400+ on a good helmet or jacket myself, which is more important than a GPS. So this leads me to a little improvisation that I made to make a cheap car specific GPS to work on my bike without the big $$ expenditure.

I have a GIVI tank bag that actually has a capability to "mount" a GPS but it isn't very effective. It puts the GPS inside the bag's clear top window. This position prevents me from seeing the GPS due to glare. On bright days it's simply impossible to see the screen. Plus, being behind the thick, clear window of the bag made it hard to work the touch screen.

So I solved those two issues by mounting the GPS inside a generic GPS cover that came with another bag so it's protected from wind and rain. Since car GPS units are not designed to survive in outdoor environments. I then used a 1"x4" foam strip that I attached behind the GPS unit. This foam strip is designed to prop the GPS up at an angle that helps reduce glare. Power for the GPS is routed through the tank bag, which is wired to my bike's electrical power.

Here is the top view with the GPS inside the cover.

Givi Tank Bag with GPS

Sideview. Note the angle of the top of the GPS. This prevents most glare. Still not perfect especially if the light is directly above it, but most times it works fine.

GIVI Tank Bag with GPS Side

Close up of the front.

GPS "Mount"

I attached the GPS Cover via simple Velcro on top of the clear plastic top of the GIVI tank bag. It's pretty secure. The GPS is pretty light so the Velcro is plenty strong enough to hold it.

GPS "Mount" Open

Let us know how it works.

I'm still doing paper maps when needed on the bike.

GPS only in the cage so far.

Mostly I don't need no stinking map. :wink:

• Member Contributer

Looks like that should do the trick...

I will say, spending the money on a good bike GPS is worth it. I bought my Zumo back in 07, and it's seen 80,000km on the bike, plus 7000km on the snowmobile, along with countless miles in rental cars. Last year I had to spend $27 on E-bay and replace the touch screen, as I scratched it, throwing a cargo strap passed it, tying the sled down...

The Zumo line is built to last and it does.

Though I do have a Garmin running in the car, I have gotten away from traveling with a GPS.

I found my GPS was often wrong even after an update.

Then I started using WAZE app.

Let me tell you. Waze has helped me out a lot!

When running late to an airport it gets me around slow traffic areas.

In populated parts of the US where other WAZERs are, it tells me where the popo is.

I can't see ever buying another GPS as long as phone keep getting better.

Being able to mirror the phone screen to the car radio is a bonus.

VFR4Lee, it works. I've tested it. I used to be a paper map guy. Not a bad idea to have one along if you have the space. But GPS is awesome as a real-time guide as you're riding along in unfamiliar territory.

Ok I use the word "works" loosely here in that you can't hear the directions. Having said that, I've used my Iphone that is Bluetoothed to my in-helmet communication system and I can't hear the commands at speeds above 45. So it's fairly useless that way too. Another thing about using the IPhone, the display is too small and it can't survive inside a protective case. It overheats. So you either have to have it exposed in a motorcycle mount or hidden inside where heat isn't an issue. Finally, the IPhone is useless when you're in an area that has no signal. I had that happen to me multiple times on the last tour I was in. I was looking for alternate routes in a desolate area and I could not get a signal. My GPS however functioned just fine with just a line of sight to the sky. In addition, the GPS has a much bigger display and easier to touch screen even with gloves on.

So I think I've found a sweet spot in cost-effectiveness here.

The IPhone Google map works better in an urban environment and you're looking for a specific location. It's also superior when you're looking for a Point of Interest in an area where you have the signal it works well. But there are plenty of places outside of urban areas in the West where even Verizon, the king of "Can You Hear Me Now" Network does not cover. So my solution is to have BOTH Iphone and GPS available and I used them both when situations exist where one works better.

I found a cheap garmin nuvi for around $60 used on ebay. I made a quick mount that presses into the steering tube and hardwired it to the rear tail light. Works great.

Remember that most GPS are not 12V, so you have to use the cigarette port adapter to step it down.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Garmin Nuvi and RAM makes a mount for it so maybe $110 - $120. Tells me speed limit of the road I'm on and if I'm exceeding that which is really nice.

Archived