One year since that last time I synched the starter valves and cleaned the air filter (K&N), I have been noticing for a couple of months now that the motor doesn't idle so well, especially when starting her up (hot or cold). So I whipped out the carbtune and set about synchronizing the starter valves... and while I'm at it I removed the air filter to clean it and placed a (used and somewhat solied) OEM paper filter in while the K&N dries out.

u7ujyjem.jpg

At first there seemd to be a noticeable improvement. The motor started up and ran much smoother. Less hesitation and noticeble 200 rpm higher idle. Before it would stutter and idle very low. The day before it stalled on me three times in a row when I started her up.

Before
e9e9aqyg.jpg

After
vy8u5y6e.jpg

Filter
tehy8e9e.jpg

I should mention I decided to try the positioning of the air funnels according to the picture in the workshop manual.. or at least how it SEEMS in the picture: the short ones in positions front left and rear right and the long ones in the remaining spots. Previously I had them positioned according to how I found them out of the dealers: short up front and long up back.

UPDATE:

Took the bike for a spin. It seems the bike pulls from low rpms nice and smoothly. At first it idled well and sounded even better. I also tensioned the chain and the throttle cable. Nice!!

But when I was arriving back home, I noticed the exhaust popping (rhythmically) when stopped at the lights and the temperatura rising real quicksmart... not convinced I haven't left something badly connected... Air leak??

• Member Contributer

I noticed with a higher idle (about +200rpm) my bike significantly heated up faster at stop lights. Do the starter valves really need to be synced once a year? Maybe I don't know what I'm missing here, to expensive and time consuming.

Takes about an hour to do and doing it myself means no cost whatsoever. So I don't see the inconvenience.

Not that I do it once a year as a rule. If the bike had been behaving correctly at idle on start up I would'nt have bothered. But it wasn't, as is evident by the unequal readings the carbtune provided before adjusting.

• Member Contributer

I do both my VFRs every 4000 mile service.

All it costs is my time.

• Member Contributer

Do you have after market pipes ? they could be causing some popping ! you would need a PC to manage that or disconnect the PAIR.

Do you have after market pipes ? they could be causing some popping ! you would need a PC to manage that or disconnect the PAIR.

Yes I do... I have the LƔser X-treme 2-to-4 set up... they have always popped a little but not like yesterday... I will see how the bike behaves over the course of the week... rolling up to the health-care service with the scandal of yesterday's backfiring would get a frown from management... just a little too hooligan!!

:cool::cool:

• Member Contributer

Block of the PAIR tubes and see if it stops. I have inserted marble size ball bearings and it works. Popping stopped

thanks Anik

BTW... just by looking at this diagram it SEEMS like these funnels should be placed as I mentioned above:

Short: forward left and rear right

Tall: forward right and rear left

Although I didn't find them in these positions on opening her up for what I asume was the first time the airbox was to be removed a year ago.

toberas.JPG

• Member Contributer

You can pick up some rubber vacuum caps at an auto parts store as well, variety pack should have the size and just use a tie wrap. I guess everyone has a tach and a motionpro sync laying around.

I blocked them off to perform the synch... I used plastic sheet and two zip ties and tested the seal with my thumb whilst synchronizing... nice and tight as the reading did not fluctuate...

I understand I need either marbles or ball-bearings or vacuum caps as you have all mentioned for a more permanent seal.

• Member Contributer

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. Double check that all the connections were re-installed. Check the hoses for obvious breaks and cracking. Not just the balancing lines either, something might have been inadvertently popped off.

• Member Contributer

Your plugs should give you a story if you are running lean (could be a leak) or rich

thanks Anik

Block of the PAIR tubes and see if it stops. I have inserted marble size ball bearings and it works. Popping stopped

thanks Anik

I'll try that... what diameter are the marbles??

Yea on my 01 Bandit 1200 when I put the holeshot stage two jet kit in I had alot of popping. But once I did the PAIR delete it went away.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I've never synced mine :(

Maybe I'll look at it this week, well I'm doing other pre T-Mac work on it...

Be intresting to see what 7 years and 84,000kms has done to them.

I want to believe...

This morning she behaved perfectly. No backfiring and no overheating.

I haven't checked or touched anything yet.

Will close my eyes for this week and see if it goes away.

Today's report VFR lovers...

A little popping but not so severe as the first incidence. About to ride her home, will see if there is anything worthwhile mentioning.

• Member Contributer

A little popping but not so severe as the first incidence. About to ride her home, will see if there is anything worthwhile mentioning.

Going home at lunchtime?.....how nice.

The rest of us have proper jobs! :tongue2:

Going home at lunchtime?.....how nice.

The rest of us have proper jobs! :tongue2:

Yeah but I don't get paid.

:wacko:

OK it is popping a little more but not like it did the first ride after synchronizing.

We'll see if there's any increase in consumption this tank's worth...

Archived