Quarter-Mile Times Using Dynolicious App

arrow

• Member Contributer

I was bimbling along north of Istanbul in a newly paved highway two days ago. The traffic was almost non-existent (very few people know this new highway). I suddenly remembered the Dynolicious app on my iphone. It measures acceleration, handling and engine horsepower through a combination of the phones gyroes, GPS and some smart algorithms. Obviously, it's in no way as accurate as timing lights, or any other purpose built machinery but it's just supposed to be fun and give an approximate idea of your vehicle's performance. I first saw it used by Chris Harris, a well respected and liked auto journalist from the UK and if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

Anyway, after I made sure that there was no traffic around me and the road long and straight, I timed three runs. Long story short, I'm crap at launching. Granted, the road was a bit dusty (had quite a bit of wheelspin in the first run) but the results were disappointing to say the least. Best quarter mile was 13.63 @ 133 mph. Sport Rider posts a 10.23 sec. @ 136.82 mph (corrected) in its website. How can I have such a crap time (that I have no doubt) and yet such high terminal speed? It also shows a 0-62 mph time of 6.38 seconds which makes it even more confusing. There's a calibration function for the app, perhaps I needed to do that before the runs.

What do you guys think?

• Member Contributer

I can't imagine the app's data is worth comparing to actual 1/4 mile times. GPS and gyros aren't that smart, even with some wicked algorithms, so don't expect time as accurate as if you were on an actual drag strip.

I've tried that Pirelli Super Biker application, and it clocked me going 20mph from my desk chair!!

• Member Contributer

Standard, unencrypted GPS is no use for that kind of stuff. Stable speed over distance it's fine with, so you can use it to calibrate your speedo, but stop/start/distance measurement of speed it will be pretty inaccurate.

The gyro is probably nowhere near accurate enough to produce anything significant either.

I'd delete the app if I were you, I think it's meant for your average I-phone user who is easily impressed. Sorry.

• Member Contributer

Greaterx, Istanbul is at sea level...

I just realized something else, the mount for the phone is prone to vibrations and this might've also thrown the measurements off as well.

Skids, I used this app in my car and the results were pretty similar to what car magazines achieved so I think it works. Like I said, Chris Harris used it to test the Porsche Panamera Diesel a while back. Maybe I should put the phone in my tankbag and try again. It's no biggie though, if it doesn't work than it doesn't work, just having a bit of fun, that's all :-) ...

Archived