Calling All Fuel Maps

Marsman99

• Member Contributer

Some of us are looking for fuel maps that can be used in an ECU re-flash developed by Don Guhl that resolves quite a few of the issues with the stock ECU, such as 1here is a thread on this subject

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/77723-don-guhl-ecu-reflash-on-2013-f-model-yes-it-is-awesome/

Some of us are looking for fuel maps that can be used in an ECU re-flash developed by Don Guhl that resolves quite a few of the issues with the stock ECU, such as 1here is a thread on this subject

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/77723-don-guhl-ecu-reflash-on-2013-f-model-yes-it-is-awesome/

Sorry, my cat jumped on me and...well, the post was sent unfinished. Short and sweet, we need fuel maps for two scenarios:

1) stock, no mods. Hopefully, they correct any fuel issues, particularly in 1st/2nd gear.

2) minor mods. Slip-on, air filter (aka K&N)

Preferably these would be Power Commander as Guhl has indicated he can easily import them, but Bazzaz or others May Aldo work.

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Sorry but you seem to forget that a lot of issues are inside the ECU itself without even touching the fuelmapping.

The problem is with the programming of the settings, those can not be changed without messing with the ECU itself.

So anything you add to the bike without lifting those ECU problems won't do much good other then costing a load of money.

The fuelmap Don uses is great, far better then Honda uses.

Don't forget, it's a computer that calculate optimal stuff...well it should do that....but Honda put some nasty settings in there, that is the problem.

I personally think that you can't improve Don's settings much with external stuff, and an different airfilter or slipon exhaust won't change much to the way it calculates.

Also, Don replaces the mappings for free (except shipping) if you are not happy to what he did to your ECU.

If you didn't got it flashed by Don, then don't bother looking at other things.....try Don and you know what all the excitement is about.

Personally I doubt you need anything else but a Don Flash :cool:

Sorry but you seem to forget that a lot of issues are inside the ECU itself without even touching the fuelmapping.

The problem is with the programming of the settings, those can not be changed without messing with the ECU itself.

So anything you add to the bike without lifting those ECU problems won't do much good other then costing a load of money.

Don't forget, it's a computer that calculate optimal stuff...well it should do that....but Honda put some nasty settings in there, that is the problem.

I personally think that you can't improve Don's settings much with external stuff, and an different airfilter or slipon exhaust won't change much to the way it calculates.

Also, Don replaces the mappings for free (except shipping) if you are not happy to what he did to your ECU.

If you didn't got it flashed by Don, then don't bother looking at other things.....try Don and you know what all the excitement is about.

UUgh... I think that is WHY Marsman99 is looking for more maps. Don can take ANY PCV map and apply it to his re-flash. Better maps = better running bike. I'm sure the maps Don is using are fine as I believe they are the ones already posted up on PowerCommander's website... but as more and more people tune their bikes, we have an opportunity to re-flash our ECU's with better 'stock' maps.

+1 for bassie,

i have don s flash and K&n filter. bike starts like a rocket and pulls like a tracktor...

if you want to spent some money on performance, first stop is defently the flash!!!

• Member Contributer

UUgh... I think that is WHY Marsman99 is looking for more maps. Don can take ANY PCV map and apply it to his re-flash. Better maps = better running bike. I'm sure the maps Don is using are fine as I believe they are the ones already posted up on PowerCommander's website... but as more and more people tune their bikes, we have an opportunity to re-flash our ECU's with better 'stock' maps.

The problem is that your ECU is crap to begin with.

You can't fix a crap ECU without fixing the ECU first.

Better maps without fixed ECU = crap maps and ECU = crap running bike.

There is stuff in the ECU that a powercommander can not fix, regardless of the map you use.

Fix the ECU first only after that a external-device may make a difference.

The way you reason makes me believe you didn't pass Don yet, as such you have no clue.

There is no way you can make this bike run good without Don fixing it first....sorry it won't happen.

There is more in this ECU then a fuel-map.....

The problem is that your ECU is crap to begin with.

You can't fix a crap ECU without fixing the ECU first.

Better maps without fixed ECU = crap maps and ECU = crap running bike.

There is stuff in the ECU that a powercommander can not fix, regardless of the map you use.

Fix the ECU first only after that a external-device may make a difference.

The way you reason makes me believe you didn't pass Don yet, as such you have no clue.

There is no way you can make this bike run good without Don fixing it first....sorry it won't happen.

There is more in this ECU then a fuel-map.....

Do you even read someone's post before replying with your own comment? I know Don can re-flash the ECUs... I have seen you post about it 100 time and I understand you are excited and happy about it. Don can remove the restrictions and he can optionally change the fuel map. AFTER Don has removed the restrictions, Don can apply whatever fueling map you want. If we can get a few KNOWN GOOD maps then we could make Don's re-flash even better.

• Member Contributer

I understand, but the question is, did you do a Don flash yet?

You never answered this.

So much for reading messages.

So did you flash or not?

Hi

After talking to Don the fuel maps he installed are based of maps from the dyno jet website

Basically these only change the fueling a few % which is enough.

The other things he does is remove the restrictors - in particular he improves the throttle response and removes the ignition timing and TB restrictions

This combined with the extra fuel makes the bike run better, more power and more smooth but does use a few % for fuel

Don felt when I talked with him that the map he used for our 2 Belgium friends was good for standard and slightly modified bikes (slip on and / or KN)

But was happy to fit any map you wanted

Based on our 2 Belgium friends enthusiasm - seems he may be correct!

No. I have not done the re-flash. I would like to do Don's re-flash and AVOID having to install a PCV. The A/F map that Don uses may be good, but if there is a better map out there, it would be nice to have him use that map when he does his re-flash.

If I already had my re-flash done, this question would be a moot point. If Don has already modified my stock map, and I install a PCV, I CANNOT use any standard map off of the PowerCommander website.

I've had the re-flash and am very happy with the 2nd gear performance. That is why I had it done and that is the only performance gain I have noticed. He did give me a new map based on an Akropovic but it made no noticeable difference. There is no indication that the re-flash improves throttle response or makes the bike run smoother, aside from the unrestricted 1st and 2nd gears

• Member Contributer

No. I have not done the re-flash. I would like to do Don's re-flash and AVOID having to install a PCV. The A/F map that Don uses may be good, but if there is a better map out there, it would be nice to have him use that map when he does his re-flash.

If I already had my re-flash done, this question would be a moot point. If Don has already modified my stock map, and I install a PCV, I CANNOT use any standard map off of the PowerCommander website.

I figured so.

Just tell Don what you want after send your ECU, and be amazed what he does with it.

You do not need a PCV, you will not even want a better map as he will have installed such a good map that you even think about it.

I figured so.

Just tell Don what you want after send your ECU, and be amazed what he does with it.

You do not need a PCV, you will not even want a better map as he will have installed such a good map that you even think about it.

88611-beating-dead-horse-gif-South-P-ZqE

if you are that concerned about it i think the only thing to do is to get your bike to Don's dyno and let him tune it

• Member Contributer

Too funny, I posted this in April when I was preparing to reflash my ECU and not a single reply until yesterday!! Back then I was hoping to find others that could share a map for a bone stock '10 DCT so I could have Don include it In the reflash. No one chimed in, so I just had Don use the single stock map on the PC site. Had the reflash done months ago. No complaints, but since I was one of the first, I didn't get the top speed restriction removed. He has since corrected that so I'll send mine back within a few weeks for the update.

I really didn't notice any difference with the new fuel map in the reflash, then again I never had an issue to compare it to. The fan comes on sooner as requested. The power restriction in first and second is gone which is a good improvement, but not something I would say transformed the bike. All in all I'm glad I had it done, but the Heli bars and custom seat were the best improvements for me. I suppose if I had the Euro bike with the huge power restriction compared to the US version, I would be ecstatic at the improvement as Bassie is.

Archived