Added New Bike To My Garage Last Week

dynajohn

I bought a new 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300ES last week. Decided that I wanted to continue to focus on enhancing the performance potential of the VFR 1200F rather than investing in the gear that would make the VFR a true sport touring bike. Anyone interested in a really fast Kawasaki ZX 14R. :wheel:

The new FJR 1300ES with electronic suspension adjustment, cruise control, power mode control, heated grips, electric windshield & standard hard side cases with liners is a better fit for me for sport touring. First impression is the bike is a real improvement over the 08 FJR I sold last fall to buy the VFR, which in turn was a improvement on the 2005 FJR I owned. Honda could learn from how Yamaha has handled the evolution of the FJR since it was introduced here in 2003.

Congrat! I test rode the FJR1300ES last month at the local Yamaha test ride event. FJR at its finest. My only complaint was the wide seat, which isn't too friendly for us inseam-challenged, but I'm sure a big plus for long distance comfort with most riders. Yamaha wisely chose to concentrate R&D money on what really counts (TC, cruise control, suspension, etc.), and leaving the tried-n-true parts well enough alone.

You are absolutely right Honda should take some cues from Yamaha on product development. Although I do think marketing is probably more to blame than engineering at Honda. Honda was rumored to have the VFR1200T version all ready to go, but ixnayed it at the last moment. That touring friendly "T" model supposedly addressed the major concerns touring riders have about the VFR1200, leaving the "F" version for those of us who do like the emphasis on Sport over touring. Similar to what BMW did with the K1300GT and S models. Instead, Honda chose to raise the VFR800 from the dead. Boggles the mind.

I bought a new 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300ES last week. Decided that I wanted to continue to focus on enhancing the performance potential of the VFR 1200F rather than investing in the gear that would make the VFR a true sport touring bike. Anyone interested in a really fast Kawasaki ZX 14R. :wheel:

The new FJR 1300ES with electronic suspension adjustment, cruise control, power mode control, heated grips, electric windshield & standard hard side cases with liners is a better fit for me for sport touring. First impression is the bike is a real improvement over the 08 FJR I sold last fall to buy the VFR, which in turn was a improvement on the 2005 FJR I owned. Honda could learn from how Yamaha has handled the evolution of the FJR since it was introduced here in 2003.

And what a bargain the new FJR is. I do prefer the VFR (which replaced the FJR I totaled). It was the price that kept me from buying the VFR at intro. I still maintain that at that price point, it should already come with most everything in the Honda accessory catalog. For what I paid for it, it's an excellent value. But congrats on the new FJR John. I still salivate just a little every time I see one. An absolute steal in the ST class.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave the 14 FJR ES model is a real improvement over the 08 I traded in on the VFR. Everything has been improved that needed to be. Frankly I am glad they left the transmission a 5 speed and concentrated on refining the shift quality. Same story with the 1300 motor, they seem to have gotten more Hp out of it without sacrificing the excellent torque spread. There is absolutely no reason to add a power commander to this bike. The fueling is flawless and I went 310 miles on the first tank of gas before it hit the last bar on the fuel gauge.

The VFR has been a work in progress and with the changes I have made to improve engine performance I am very satisfied with it. I expect to be even happier next week when I get my re-flashed ECU back from Don Guhl. No more performance restrictions. :beer:

i had the Valkyrie out over the weekend.....you really have to nurse it to get 30 mpg out of it...25 mpg if you open up that six pack of 28mm CV's...5.3 gallon tank.....i'm in fuel range hell...lol

Dave the 14 FJR ES model is a real improvement over the 08 I traded in on the VFR. Everything has been improved that needed to be.

Except the riding position, which was always the deal breaker for me. For the five or so years that I owned FJRs, it always irritated me no end that I could go farther in comfort on ANY of my sportbikes. I tried different seats, different bar risers, different windscreens (sounds like a typical FJR owner, eh?) but just could never get comfortable. When I totalled my last FJR, I briefly contemplated buying back the salvage (it would have been an easy fix). But the wife said 'Why, all you ever do is bitch about being uncomfortable on it?' She was right. I bought the VFR and love the sportier seating position. If the FJR sat like the VFR, I'd be all in. Like I said, it's an absolute steal in the ST class. It just doesn't fit my physique.

Archived