Starter Clutch Reduction Gear Is The Culprit!...or Is It?

GadiantonRob

So, my bike started the infamous "crunch" noise upon start up late last riding season, and I finally got around to replacing what I suspected to be the starter clutch.

Much to my great joy (or dismay) the starter clutch is fine and well and everything is in ship shape.

Being the Sherlock that I am, I dove in and started searching for clues. And I stumbled upon this my dear Watsons...

0222141656b_zps438fabc7.jpg

0222141656_zpsa8dec3ec.jpg

The gear reduction assembly had shavings in some areas, with worn cogs.

Aha! I said, but I am wasn't done. I looked at the starter gear...

0222141658a_zps222af71d.jpg

I see a line in the gears, but they are not worn, and they pass the fingernail test.

So is the problem a worn reduction assembly, or is something else worn causing it to wear?

All other gears show no wear.

Your hypothesis' please.

• Member Contributer

I'd like to see a photo of the piece of metal all by itself...

I'm with BLS. Is the metal soft, meaning is it aluminum? You might have scraped the case on the gear when removing it and scraped off some material when pulling it. The gears would have chips missing from the teeth it that size of debris was coming from them. As far as the started clutch goes make sure to inspect it well. Those cracks are hard to see sometimes as they show up as hairline cracks. Also, the springs and rollers can cause that problem even if the drive housing is not cracked. Not too far from OKC to load it up and swing it by ..........

Not to doubt your investigative chops, Rob - but it's rare for this to be anything other than a cracked starter clutch housing. I have heard of people changing the brand/type of oil they use and having the dreaded crunch go away, though.

To clarify - have you swapped in a new starter clutch housing and still have the problem? Or you just can't see any cracks in the original housing and are digging deeper?

Just peered over the starter clutch again with my magnifying glass and low and behold one of the three housings has quite a groove worn in by the roller. I'm guessing this roller is getting caught in the groove and is not moving fully. Can this be sanded out or is a new starter clutch in order?

Sent from my fancy telly.

Archived