New Owner, Some Questions

Speeder

got a 2010 VFR non-dct, about 13k miles on it. Got some questions -

when the bike is warm, the idle surges by couple hundred rpms, is it normal?

Something is rubbing in the front, goes away at speed, and with braking, what should i check? brake pads?

Lastly, i find the clutch level to be pretty stiff. My previous bike had a cable clutch and higher handlebars, and it never bothered me. This one causes cramps 5 minutes into traffic. The fluid looks brown-ish, definately not as light as fresh dot4, would bleeding help softening it up? If so, i found a speed bleeder thread with SB8125 or SB8125L, should I order regular or long ones?

Thanks!

The rubbing is just like a little whisp of sound when you roll the bike? Goes away as soon as you start to apply the brake even before the bike starts to slow down?

The rubbing is just like a little whisp of sound when you roll the bike? Goes away as soon as you start to apply the brake even before the bike starts to slow down?

yeah the rubbing is pretty quiet and it happens at slow speeds while riding. i'll check when exactly it goes away

the clutch is heavy, I have owned mine since new and it has about 15,000km on it. odd that the clutch fluid is dirty mine still looks like new and never been changed.

the pads look like they have plenty of life from top view (w/o removing) but i will inspect them this weekend. The noise definitely stops with front brake engagement (replaced by more of a braking noise), but rear brakes (which i believe has small pads in the front) do not stop the noise from happening, so it must be the regular pads dragging.

Re: clutch fluid, it's darker, but it's not very dark. I will bleed it possibly this weekend too and see if it improves, can't hurt I guess. The clutch lever is killing me

• Member Contributer

Maybe the previous owner had just change them and make sure the pins holding then in place are in the pad alignment holes.

Some times when people change them they miss the alignment holes in the pad.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2010-honda-vfr1200f-left-front-brake-caliper/o/m19229sch657669

As far as the idle surge, if you're talking a surge to a higher rpm and it stays there, then no, I've not seen that in my experience.

Mine sort of lumpily hunts back-and-forth between about 1000 and 1200rpm, especially when cold. The initial startup usually puts me around 1750rpm, then it comes down rather quickly.

Now that I think about it, the actual idle point is rather variable. I worried a lot about it early on, but think nothing of it now. My 2 pennies.

so i've checked the brakes - pad wear is even, no obvious heat marks, calipers pistons all move smooth, pins were in place (spring on one was a little loose), but the noise didn't go away. it's relatively quiet so i'm not going to worry about it until i can get a center stand and see if the rotor is warped a bit.

flushed the fluid, it's a bit better, maybe. hard to tell. i've also not ridden it in a couple of days, and my hand didn't cramp up on a quick ride after maintenance, so that's good.

mild rpm surging i'm more used to now, but i'll take a quick video just in case.

anyway, so far so good.

• Member Contributer

Mine makes the same noise too and has since new. I wouldn't worry about it. As for the clutch, i'd just change the fluid. As for the hard pull, you will get used to it. I guess this bike has a pretty beefy clutch and springs.

• Member Contributer

Does it have the stick on wheel weights or does it have the pinch to the center rib of the wheel.

Reason I ask when I bought my VFR it had the clamp on style wheel weights and the weights would move around and a make clatter noise .

I still have them somewhere ;..

Archived