Help! Bike Won't Start After Replacing Crankcase Cover...

Guest OakVFR

OK gang, I just bought this bike a few weeks ago and it had been tipped over by PO.

I replaced damaged mid fairing and crankcase cover yesterday and now that the gasket sealant has dried I wanted to start the bike and check for leaks...

I tried starting the bike and it won't start...it's turning over but just wont start.

The only thing I can think of was some type of sensor on the backside of the crankcase cover that I unbolted and put onto the new cover yesterday...could that cause the bike not to start????

I also recently installed a battery tender but have no clue why that would cause the bike not to start...I checked a few of the important fuses under the seat as well...

Any thoughts??? What the hell did I do this time?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what does that sensor do inside the crankcase cover...it looks like it's called a pulse generator...I know I put it in correctly...could I have stretched the wires maybe???

looking at the parts fiche, it does appear to be the pulse generator....

I'm assuming you've checked all the kill switches, etc

when you turn the key on, you get the standard needle sweep, and the fuel pump priming the fuel rail, etc....and don't see any strange looking number codes (or flashing lights apparently) ?

• Member Contributer

Computer reset is by disconnecting the terminals at the battery.

Any codes should come up as a series of flashes on the engine light. If you have any, there is a shop manual in the downloads section that you can use to cross-reference.

I'm with blake though, kill switches, normal start up electrical stuff?

Ok....just reconnected battery with no luck...

I did notice my check engine light stays solid for a moment and then blinks 9 times....

Whats that indicate??

• Member Contributer

9 flashes indicates an IAT issue... which I doubt is your problem (it's on the air cleaner housing) as it ALSO states that the engine will operate normally under that condition.

The DTC INDEX for flashes is located on page 6-14 of the shop manual. May want to double check that?

• Member Contributer

Only sensor I can find there is the CKP sensor, that might be one long 9 short (19 as the code), it's in the right crankcase cover which I think is the one you fiddled with.

Condition of failure is exactly what you have, engine does not start, injectors, fuel pump and ignition shut down. Do you hear the pump prime when you key ON and killswitch is ON etc? If not, likely you missed a wire or buggered up the CKP sensor.

Looks like after all that, you were on the right track to start with. :comp13:

• Member Contributer

Hopefully some of this is helping OAK, I know this stuff can be infuriating. It's one of my biggest worries about the 1200... all the electrical crap.

Archived